This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Celebrating Poetry Month...with Masks!

I love our school. No. Really. I almost can't say it loud enough. 

I LOVE OUR SCHOOL!!!

Here is just one reason...

April was poetry month at Springbrook and all the third graders, among other things, memorized and recited poems in class. At the end of the month, to celebrate, we were all invited to a "poetry night" led by an interactive poet named Bill Buczinsky.


It was a scheduling nightmare for me to go, requiring a last minute babysitter who had never even met my kids before.  But Jack begged.  So I made it happen.  I wasn't expecting anything spectacular - maybe some performer reciting poetry, or a bunch of kids lined up at the mike to rattle off their recitations.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

In true Naperville "go big or go home" fashion, poetry night was nothing short of amazing. Imaginative! Inspiring!!

I don't know if third graders are simply more outgoing than younger kids? Or if Spring Brook truly brings out the best in them? Or if this perfomer was so inspirational that he brought out the inner performer in each of those kids. But they were off. the. HOOK!

Turns out, the PTA had paid for Mr. Buczinsky not only to perform, but to conduct workshops with the 3rd graders all day.  And by nightfall, I couldn't believe what I saw.  Every child, full of confidence, smiling onstage, BURSTING with energy and totally pumped for...poetry??  Seriously. 

Thank goodness my new camera can take video, or you wouldn't believe it either.  Here is a peek at POETRY NIGHT, Naperville-style.  Enjoy!  I know I did!


Chosen at random to be the wind - Jack took his job very seriously!


 But most of the night was full of smiles


The children made their masks in art class - my little jungle guy is in the second row, second from the right


Who knew poetry involved reciting with your tongue stuck out!?

Quite the artist he was! 

I wish I could have recorded this whole poem, "It's a Jungle Day", but you'll have to be satisfied with this little clip, because it's all I had room for on my memory card.  Who knew 3rd grade poetry night would be so awesome!



One boy and one girl from each class were chosen to recite their poems and Jack was so excited because his best friend Christian was chosen.  And for good reason - his performance was hilarous!!


It was a great night to spend being impressed by our 8 year olds.  They were all so proud of themselves, and we were all proud of them too!

2 comments:

m said...

I'd love to know the name of the poem the kids recited with their visiting author - looks like some great read-aloud material!

Glad you could make it to the show - I would have been a wreck of happy proud tears. Way to go teachers, students, parents, and friends!

Megan said...

That's so fabulous! And makes my little teacher heart very warm!