This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Monday, September 5, 2011

RECIPE: Turkey Pumpkin Chili

I know I'm still in the thick of summer vacation with my blog posts, but with the weather getting cooler it's the perfect time to start cooking all our favorite yummy fall foods!  I even busted out my crockpot today :)

Here's one of my best, tried and true, always a hit, easy peasy (just a lot of ingredients) cold weather favorites.  Courtesy of my awesome friend Lyn, to whom I owe a debt of gratitude because this is one mother of a recipe and I plan to be known for it when I'm an old lady and everyone wants "Nana Mallett's Chili"!!

Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Terrific chili for a chilly autumn day...or any day really!

1 lb lean ground turkey

¾ cup chopped onions
½ cup chopped green bell peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
Two 14.5oz. cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
15 oz can kidney beans, with liquid
15 oz can Great Northern beans, with liquid
15 oz can tomato sauce
4 oz can diced green chilies
2 tsp ground chili powder
1
½ tsp ground cumin (or more to taste)
1 tsp salt

½ tsp ground black pepper
1
½ tsp oregano
½ cup water

Brown meat in a large skillet, drain fat and add to a large pot. Wipe out skillet and sautee
onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender. Add to pot with browned turkey. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour. If chili is too thick, add more water, and adjust seasonings as needed.


Serve with baked tortilla chips, low fat sour cream, sliced green onions and reduced fat cheddar cheese for sprinkling on top!

5 comments:

2Bugaboos said...

I make a variation of this and it's one of my all time FAVORITE fall go-to recipes! Looking forward to making this one too. Enjoy!

m said...

Love Lyn's recipe. Still too hot to make it here - and I get the eye roll groan from A when the pumpkin cans come out of the pantry... a little too much obsession with it from a few winters ago due to another obsession with ELW... but still, this recipe remains the most used one in my arsenal!

Christine M. said...

I am so making this. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipie.

Lindsey said...

We had pumpkin pancakes for breakfast and I'm thinking it's pumpkin chili for dinner tonite! Yum!

Stefanie said...

mmm....now I can start thinking about fall! :)