This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Fun

We had a lot of fun on Sunday for Mother's Day.   We went to the Morton Arboretum, one of our favorite places to explore and enjoy the outdoors.  We dressed up a little because they had a photographer there to take family pictures for a fee.  I probably could have done better with my tripod, but we'll see what we get in two weeks when our photo package gets delivered!

Again with the wonky dates....I'll fix that eventually!


Always thinking outside the box...

Beautiful blooms, though after she took a sniff she said "Mama, those STINK!"  And she was right!  The did stink!

Seriously, these two are so sweet together it just melts my heart a thousand ways.  I didn't pose them at ALL, they just did this naturally.  


Would you just look at this Momma and her babies!  How lucky were we?!





Making 'fairy furniture' at the craft station.
We also made 'pollination wands' and planted seeds in peat cups.  




And then it was time to hit the gateway to the climbing structure..also known as "The place where the kids always find a way to get wet".   



But this time even I was telling them to jump in, because the pond was full of TADPOLES!









 It was so magical to watch them catch the baby frogs and squeal with delight, then run out of water in their cupped hands and release them back to their habitat.

Even though the pond was JAMMED with people, it was like they were in their own little world.




We finally headed home when Ben started showing signs of imminent meltdown.  Everyone was sopping wet, thirsty and hungry and we had thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon.  Marc wanted to stop and grab some food to grill for dinner when we got home, so we stopped at the grocery store.

Then we noticed that Ben had given me a Mother's Day gift of priceless proportions...


That child has desperately needed, and consistently refused a nap for the last six months.  Finally we cracked the code and he passed out for three hours, even transferring to his bed when we got home.

Molly and I kept vigil, and since her legs were freezing from being so wet catching pollywogs, I told her she could come up front with me and warm them in the sunshine.




 Man, I love my job!




What a great way to celebrate being a mom.  Hanging out with the mama duck and her babies, the baby tadpoles, and my own little chicks as well.  Then dinner on the grill and drinks with the moms in our neighborhood at sunset - I couldn't ask for more!

2 comments:

ktegn said...

Looks like you had a fabulous Mother's Day! I love the pictures of Ben and Molly!! So precious!

Stefanie said...

that looks like so much fuN! And YAH for the best present of all (the nap). You look cute!