I used to look forward to those easy days of summer, when the schedule loosened up and spontaneity reigned (in between babies' and preschoolers naps that is).
Those days are GONE, baby, GONE.
Because while a preschooler and toddler or two would be entertained with, well just about anything, a sixth grader, third grader and kindergartener have this to say...
MOM....I'M BORED!
Which is why, this summer, even with a 5 month old in tow,
I decided to sign the three big 'uns up for Swim Team!
Marc told me I was 1000% insane for even thinking it. And he may be right. But I knew that the cost of not being up and out of the house bright and early each day would be the constant drone of...
"Moooom, there's nobody outside to play with!"
"It's too hoooooooot!"
"Can I play on the computer?"
"Can I watch TV?"
"Can I play on the iPad?"
"Can I use an app on your phone?"
And I would go slowly (or quickly) insane.
So Swim Team is the cornerstone of our summer, and we are up and at 'em even earlier than we were on school days, to my shock and horror. Jack bikes to his practice at 8:15am because while Jack and Ben still rise at the crack of dawn, no amount of poking and prodding can get Molly out of bed before 8:30.
Molly and Ben have practice at 9:15 and we usually show up, at a breakneck run, at 9:16. But we're THERE, which is half the battle. With private lessons for Molly and Ben now starting after practice on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, our mornings are pretty well spoken for, and we all come home good and tired - which is important to ward off the bickering and house-trashing that occurs when too much energy is trapped inside those skinny little bodies of theirs.
So today, our day looks like this...
| The white board came out of hiding because I need it to keep me on track! I like it so much I might even keep it out for the school year. |
We kind of get the best of both worlds because even though Jack is doing karate 3 times a week and golf twice, our afternoons from 11-5 are free to do what we please. I'm trying to sneak in an adventure day, when we blow off everything and just go someplace fun on our bucket list...but we'll have to wait and see if that ever moves beyond the idea stage!
Summer 2013
I need a nap already!
1 comment:
I'm tired for you! But I think you're right - routine is king and getting that energy out is a top priority! How is Maeve? Going with the flow?? Chill?? I wanna see more baby blue eyes!
Post a Comment