This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Monday, October 7, 2013

To Nap or NOT to Nap


First time mothers are always admonished to "sleep when the baby sleeps!", but fourth time mothers know...there is no rest for the weary!  Nap time is for getting things DONE.  Today, that means culling the toys in the (disorganized, disastrous, tsunami of childhood) play room for my garage sale on Friday, and lucky for me, Maeve slept terribly last night so she should have been poised for a fabulous morning nap. 

NOTSOMUCH!

This week has been a moving and grooving week for Miss M.  She has figured out how to go from laying to sitting, from sitting to pulling up and from pulling up to sitting down, and back to laying down.  She is THISCLOSE to crawling too.  I need a nap just thinking about it, so I can't imagine what is keeping her awake!

I guess just like with my other babies, once they learn a new mobility trick, they JUST. CAN'T. STOP!  I remember Jack crawling around in circles in his crib for upwards of an hour before he finally collapsed, asleep. 

Two nights ago I found her sitting up in her crib and I knew it was time to lower that mattress - it's amazing that we've made it this far really, I probably should have lowered it before now, but I'm so short that I love the top mattress position because it's the only one I can lay the baby down in.  The others require me to drop them the last inches (I suppose I could climb up on a stool...I'll have to look for a stool!)

Anwhoo, Maeve's sleeping has gone to pot because of all of her aerobics.  Not that it was good to begin with.  Since the great swing-wean of August, there hasn't been too much sleep 'round these parts.  

Not sure what my point was as I sat down to write this post....I think I was killing time listening to Maeve fuss in her bed, hoping that she would go back to sleep...but she didn't.  Too busy sitting up and not realizing that she can lie back down to sleep some more.  So now it's four hours later and she's been nursed, changed, played with, fed lunch, played with some more, nursed some more and laid back down for nap number two.  I just sang her the tune of Gilligan's Island...but I changed the refrain to

A TWO HOUR NAP....A TWO HOUR NAP.

Let's hope it worked subliminally!  I've made it through the boys' toys, and am on to Molly's.  If I never sort another Lego again, I'll be a happy woman (but I know that will never happen, not in this house!)

No comments: