This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Thursday, July 22, 2010

Note to Self: Plant Hydrangeas


These are my first and last hydrangeas from this house.  My mom got them for me last year and they nearly bit the dust before we managed to plant them, but like everything else we put in the ground here, they not only survived, but thrived!  I've been meaning to bring the poor wilty blooms inside because they were struggling in all this heat.  I cut off every last one!  They're mine and I want to enjoy every second of them before they, and we, are gone.

Hydrangeas are just so beautiful and romantic, fresh or dried (or even silk!) in pink, or purple or perfect blue.  I hope someday to have billowing blooms of them hanging over a white picket fence, just like all the old beach houses on the Cape.  For now though, this little glass next to my bed will keep me happy.  :)

3 comments:

Anna said...

Beth--Scope out a local nursery when you get to Chicago and look for "Endless Summer" hydrangeas. They will be on sale in August usually and you can get them in the ground this fall and give them a bit of time before it frosts. You might have some blooms next year but the year after--wow!

Beth said...

Thanks Anna! They are now on my official "to do" list. :)

Lindsey said...

I mail ordered tiny tiny blue moon hydrangeas from Michigan Bulb last year and this year they gave forth in magnanimous blooms! I was so proud, first plants I managed not to kill.