All this time I've been tweaking differnt casserole strategies trying to get the sauce right, thinking that the right bechamel sauce, or the right can of cream of something soup would meld the leftovers together in perfect harmony. But tonight I stumbled upon a recipe that made me rethink that concept. And instead of using a sauce as the unifying agent, I used eggs. EGGS!! Who woulda thunk!? And it was MARVELOUS, miraculous even, what happened to my leftovers from the entire last week.
| Leftover Happiness Casserole |
In her sweetest, most polite voice she said...
"Mommy, may I please not have to eat, or smell, or even look at that dinner because it is too disgusting for me and I would prefer something different, please?"
Well, it was an improvement over her Linda Blair impersonation, so I went with it!
Regardless of what five year old tastebuds say, this was DELICIOUS and here's what went in it.
1 cup leftover garlic spinach
1 cup leftover stir fried french beans
1 cup leftover sauteed diced peppers and onions
2 cups leftover cubed, poached chicken
4 cups leftover brown rice
3 eggs scrambled with one cup milk
2 cups shredded mozzarella
4 cloves garlic, minced with a garlic press
garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper
I heated some oil in a skillet, threw the garlic in, followed quicly by all the leftover veggies and chicken and seasoned to taste with the garlic salt and black pepper. In a separate bowl, I mixed the eggs, milk, cheese and rice. Then I mixed the veggie mixture into the egg/rice/cheese mixture and dumped it into a casserole dish. I kept it in the fridge until dinnertime was afoot and then tossed it into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. I sprinkled a handful (or two) of mozarella over the top and let it bake another 15 minutes until it was all melted and bubbly. And then I ate enough of it to sink a small ship.
Ben also was not thrilled with his piece of casserole, but unlike his sister who voices her complaints loudly, Ben just throws the offending food at you. Luckily saw it coming and had my plate ready!
Alright, the cherubs will be up in five hours, so I'm calling it a night. G'Night!
2 comments:
Eggs rescue me All The Time. They are, like, the Perfect Food. Unless you get the bad ones from Iowa, but we're not talking about *those* :)
Morphing meals if the way to go! If you're ever looking for something new to do with leftover pork chops, I'm your gal... ;-)
Post a Comment