This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent 2011

I'm sorely in need of some sacrifice these days.  After the initial rounds of unpacking, organizing, decorating, scheduling, and the like...I have to admit that apathy has set in.   I don't know why I expected our lives here to get up to speed in a few months, when it took 8 years to get everything in Pembroke ship shape!  I know it's silly to think that, but I really do miss having it 'all together' and get incredibly frustrated that I'm not in that place anymore.  It will come with time, I know, but it's so easy to just ignore the twelve mile long to-do list and sit down to watch Backyardigans with Ben.  Or worse, to spend that time googling things like "Peacock blue leather wingback chair" or "perfect blue transitional area rug" as if any of those things are the magic bullet I'm seeking,

So to shake things up, I'm considering some new ideas for Lent this year.

BYE BYE FACEBOOK
For the last few years I've given up Facebook and other social internet forums and I honestly love it.  It's hard at first, because checking Facebook, or checking in with my friends online is such a pervasive habit in my daily life.  But once the initial shock is over, it's completely FREEING and FABULOUS.   Especially when I take that time back and put it to use blogging, journaling, praying, or spending time focusing on family and home.

40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS
This is an idea that I first heard of over at Clover Lane.  Basically, you have to come up with a bag each day of things to throw away, give away or sell.  I did a huge purge last Lent in preparation for our move, and it was so liberating to rid our lives of so much accumulated junk.  When you commit to 40 bags in 40 days, you're not just tossing the clutter, the junk, the useless stuff.  You end up actually getting into the REAL stuff that at first glance, you'd convince yourself to keep.  But when you ask yourself the tough questions, you realize that life will be more free and less cluttered by letting it go. 

THE ROSARY
I used to say the rosary all the time.  Life just rolled on getting more and more demanding and I let it go.  I need to add prayer into my daily life more than I currently do.  So I'd like to try and fit in a whole rosary every day.  Without falling asleep in the middle.  This one is going to be a challenge!

SNACKS
This one is going to be the hardest of all.  But sacrifice isn't really sacrifice unless it stings, you know?  I don't know if I can make it with this one, because I'm very averse to things that sting, but I'm going to give it a try!

MASS
I haven't found a church yet that I love as much as the one we left behind when we moved.  And I sort of gave up after kissing a bunch of frogs.  But I *need* the grace and goodness I soak up at Sunday mass to get me through the week.  Life is just better with church in the mix.  So I'm making it a priority to get to mass every week, no excuses.

NO COMPLAINING.  NO JUDGING.  NO YELLING!...
I MEAN...no yelling  :o)
This one, to be honest, is going to be near impossible.  But I'm going to try!  I need to better control my character flaws in these areas.  Because I've been so focused on the move and the changes and the overwhelming work, I've let those things slide.  And I dont' like it at ALL about myself.

NURTURE
I need to finish what I started when 2011 began.  Life has conspired to shift my focus, and I need to get back to the business of supporting my family and myself and my circle of friends because THAT, more than anything, is what I believe God wants of me at this point in my life.

With two minutes to spare, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

9 comments:

m said...

Are you doing all these things? WOW. That's a lot to tackle all at once. However, if anyone can do it, you can. And I feel ever so nurtured after our phone call yesterday. Thank you for being my FRIEND.

Christine M. said...

Very inspiring. You have made me think of things differently and to look at things with a new perspective. Thank you friend. Now off to get my ashes.

Beth said...

You know I woke up this morning and thought "What was I THINKING??" In the end, I probably don't have the fortitude to do all of them, all at once, but I figure even if I fall short, at least I'm aiming in the right direction!

Mel - clearly I'm a better actress than I thought ;o) I was trying to hide my disappointment at your quick contract, knowing that it means you'll be leaving Illinois sooner than expected. What a total blessing it was to have you here these last six months! Oh, I mean SEVEN months, today!

Hi Christine! One great thing about having your kids in Catholic school is that they're covered for all the holy days of obligation. I don't like being on the hook to convince them to go to mass on a Wednesday night!

ktownsend said...

Beth - so inspiring - I love the 40 bags in 40 days. I told my daughter about it this afternoon and she quickly ran to get a bag and started filling it! Hoping we can make it through the 40 days - this way of de-cluttering life and realizing the importance of what we have in family and time together is something I have wanted to do for a while so it really struck a cord with me. Thanks!

Pia said...

I love this post. I started Ash Wednesday by donating all of Danny's 3T, 4T and 5T clothing to Catholic Charities. The kid is only 4, but wears a GAP XS and Children's Place Small. He's enormous. And I decided not to give anything up, but to try harder at many things - vague, I know. But I'm working really hard at single parenting (i.e. not yelling or taking out my frustration on my adorable, comical boys), and getting healthy again (losing weight, not snacking on JUNK). For sure, it will be difficult. But what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?! Right!!

Lindsey said...

I've never done Lent (being a Bapterian) but I'm thinking it's a good way to "check in" with some of my resolutions for the yelling. Including the no yelling one. Although I do admit it makes me feel better knowing that one of my mothering heroines also struggles with the raising of the voice. We can do this! I mean... *whispers* we can do this!

Oh and the organizing/purging has begun over here too and it's addictive... which is sort of the opposite of Lent, right? ;)

Beth said...

K - your little 'angel' is officially on my 'awesome person' list! I love how kids can grab hold of an idea with boundless enthusiasm :)

Beth said...

Pia, your patience and sense of humor inspire me to do a better job - the fact that you're doing it while flying solo is amazing to me.

And even though it's 'vague' the trying harder idea is totally Lent-worthy, because by trying harder, you're giving up something too: it's easy to blow up and throw in the towel some days. As moms of little ones, we have every reason some days to want to hide in the bathroom with a People magazine and a glass of Chardonnay and pretend we're alone!

The more painful path, the one that causes the suffering and sacrifice that's supposed to bring us closer to Jesus, is often the one where you keep perservering to follow through.

Keep up the good work (and please tell me you're writing all their antics down - I swear it'll make millions someday!)

Beth said...

Lindz, your youth lends you more energy than me I think! I get midway through a great purge and want to go crawl into bed and pretend it's not there! The part of me that pushes onward even though it's emotionally exhausting (and physically exhausting too, depending on what I'm purging/organizing) is the suffering and sacrifice that Lent is for. I think. I really should look it up, because 17 years of Catholic school doctrine kind of all blends together....

The Bapterian thing has me intrigued though. If I don't find a good Catholic church soon, I may pick your brain!