Marc's ITALIAN grandmother.
And if it's not HER gravy? Then it's not really gravy at all.
And for anyone not living in New England, by GRAVY, I mean tomato sauce, of course.
When Marc and I first got married and lived in Boston, a stone's throw from his family in Revere, everyone knew where to find us on Sunday night - at Nana's house, stuffing our faces. But then we moved away. And now we've REALLY moved away. So that Nana's gravy and macaroni (and by MACARONI, I mean ziti, of course) is no longer a staple of our diet.
And boy do we miss it!
I admit I've had the recipe for a while now, but for an Irish girl who never even knew you could make gravy on your own until I met Marc's family....well, I was a little nervous that I wasn't up to the challenge. I've even had the ingredients in my pantry - I moved them from MASSACHUSETTS for goodness sakes, that's how long I've had them...but I was still too afraid to try it. Even though Nana said it was so easy! Haven't you noticed that's what all the great cooks say? It's so EASY! But when you try it you set your house on fire and have to figure out how to get tomatoes off the ceiling.
Anywho.
There was a particularly nasty day of weather during our Spring Break, so I decided that TODAY WAS THE DAY. My sous chefs and I scrubbed up, prepped our ingredients and went to work.
Here, we have Sous Chef #1 diligently grating parmesan
She really got into it, asking for more things to grate when the cheese was gone.
"Could I grate some bread? How about yogurt?"
And Sous Chef #2, who felt some heavy equipment was necessary for his job
Homemade breadcrumbs.
And here he is making his best Michelle Traynham face
(sorry to anyone who doesn't know Michelle, but this was too hilarious a comparison not to share!)
Sous Chef #3 took a cue from his big brother when I gave him the job of squishing the meatball ingredients together. I gave him the bowl, showed him what to do, and he ran away to get 'sum-fing".
When I looked back a minute later, this is what I saw...
Making meatballs is a serious job, apparently.
You could poke your eye out!.
He was a tentative squisher.
Needed a little help to really get down and dirty with the smooshing.
(Am I the only one who sees my muffin top trying to escape my pants and attack the food?
Or did the flower in my hair do it's job and distract you?)
Enter the cookie scooper Mrs. Claus put in my stocking. Sous Chef #1 and I used it to scoop and roll the meat into happy little balls of uniformity.
At last, it was time to cook it all!
I can't show you that though, because it required Herculean effort not to just go take a nap after all that work. Pictures would have put us over the edge.
And then it was done. The meatballs had been baked (because I am FAR to lazy and messy a cook to pan-fry them), the turkey sausages had been browned. The gravy ingredients were assembled and simmered for the requisite number of hours.
The table was set, and the taste testers assembled.
Spaghetti was the sous chefs' choice for "macaroni". And two of the chefs didn't care how much work was put into it - tomatoes in any form are not allowed to touch their pasta. Their loss. Because THIS chef? Ate an entire plate piled high with so much goodness that even the muffin top cried Uncle!
And Jack, who is a HUGE fan of Nana Nancy's gravy, sat down to a plate as well. His official taste tester decree went something like this...
"Mom, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but.....this is NOTHING like Nana Nancy's. It's really, actually - again not to make you feel bad...but it's kinda gross. Molly! Do NOT stick your finger in it! Back AWAY - you will totally hate it. You might even puke. DONT' touch it!! Trust me. Oh. So sorry Mom. But yeah. Yuck."
So Nana? Your place as the family gravy queen is clearly not in jeopardy! And next time we visit, if your freezer somehow goes empty of all that gravy you keep frozen ...you'll know it went to a good home :)
9 comments:
Oh Beth!! This one had me rolling on the floor laughing! First off, when I saw the picture of you and Ben, I thought of that blonde and sometimes redhead chick from "Criminal Minds"...I think it was the glasses, the hair, and the flower! I didn't even LOOK at your shirt until you said something! (PS: You so don't have a muffin top, or if you do, the shirt was concealing it!).
And secondly, Jack's reaction was AWESOME. Not because he thinks your sauce stunk, but because his theatrics are nothing short of what I expected! You can always freeze the sauce and send it to me!! I may have only Irish running through my blood, but I have Italian tastebuds!
PS: Did Marc have any of the sauce?? What was his take on it?
I'm sure it was delicious! You know kids don't normally like anything "good" we make for them. :)
Holy Crap, Beth. That was hilarious. Not the end result, but the helmets, ear protection, eye protection, and your sweet yellow attire.
I know it's not Nana's, but I have a 5 minute sauce that I have started to use. It might take away the sting of all your hard work being unappreciated. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/five-minute-tomato-sauce-recipe.html#comments
Katie: Marc tried it. And he didn't say anything BAD about it, but he didn't compliment it at ALL either. That might have had something to do with the inch of overcookedness at the bottom of the gravy pot...didnt' bother me, but then again, I'm not a food snob. Just married to one, lol!
Mel, that recipe looks amazing! My friend Dianne once made me a sauce like that (her maiden name is Guisti, so she's got Italian street cred) and it was to die for and she was all "Oh stop it, it was nothing!" and I was all "ghamerthejmerm enmremern" because my mouth was too full to talk properly.
I'm totally going to try it!
Hmm will you share Nana Nancy's recipe?? Love the pics and the story!!! You are still a fantastic cook!! till thinking about the chicken enchalada(sp?) casserole you made me!!
I just caught up on the last 10 or so entries and am nearly crying with laughter. I love the gravy making attire - and that your kids participate!! Your story about the Museum sounds like some of my ventures with the boys! I love that you are journaling these moments. They are treasures!
Keep trying to make the sauce - adjusting amounts of ingredients. a teaspoon of sugar, a little less oregano, much more garlic powder, garlic cloves and garlic powder again. You'll get there. My Mom did, and she's not Italian at all, but you'd never know it!
Beth you deserve IOO% credit for even trying it alone.I am sure Jack really didn't mean it. But when you come to Boston I will have every thing ready & you can make it here with me guideing you along.There is nothing to it. You are the most incredible mother I got a big kick watching the pictures of the children helping you.They are so beautiful Love you all. Love Nana Nancy
Post a Comment