This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dead animals and the girls who love them...

I just watched the most hiloriffying video on Facebook.  Get it?  Hilarious + Horrifying = Hiloriffying! 

It was a youtube video of a little girl playing with her new pet dead squirrel.  Her parents were either ignorant hilbillies who didn't give a second thought to the dead squirrel or (and this is how I prefer to think of them) pragmatists who realized that the germ warfare that needed to occur after the dead squirrel was removed from it's live BFF could wait five minutes for the moment to be recorded for posterity...and youtube!

I can totally understand how most parents would have a visceral, nauseating, hysterical response to seeing their young child hugging and loving a rodent carcass.  Not me though.  I'm desensitized.

Why?  Two weeks ago, Molly and I had this exchange...

Molly: "Mama, have you ever felt a bird's feathers?"


Me: "Yes I have honey.  Why?"


Molly: "Aren't they soooo soft!  I never knew how soft a birdie would be!"


Me: "Oh. Did you find a feather outside?"


Molly: "No. I petted a birdie today Mama!  At recess!  And it was sooo soft!  The softest thing ever!"


Me: "Oh, did someone bring a bird to school?"


Molly: "No."


Me: "Well, then where was it?"


Molly: "Outside.  Near the playground"


Me: "How did you get it to stay still long enough to pet it?"


Molly: "Because it was dead!"


(Well DUH!!  Of COURSE!!  Shoulda seen that one coming from a mile away!)Me: "And you pet the dead bird....because..."


Molly: "Zoe did it."


Me: "You pet the dead bird because Zoe did it?"


Molly: "Yep!  Zoe pet the dead bird and she said it was so soft I wouldn't believe it!  And so I had to pet it too, you know, so I would believe it.  And whaddaya know, she was right!  It was so soft. SO soft! And legless."


Me: "It had no legs?"


Molly:  "Nope!  Gone.  No legs! Why do you think it had no legs, Mama?  Do you think a cat ate them and that's why the bird died?"


Me: "Ummmm, maybe.  You washed your hands after school right?"


Molly: "Of course!"


Me: "Um, why don't you go wash them again, reallllllly welllll just to make sure, okay?"


Molly:  "Sure Mama!"

And off she went, skipping to the bathroom, with me wretching inside, praying that the dead bird fairy would take pity on the sweet young thing and let her not come down with ebola, or west nile virus, or flesh-eating bird flu.

So far, so good.

4 comments:

ktegn said...

You know I had to go on Youtube and look up that video of the girl and the squirrel after I read this right? Yikes!! Hiloriffying indeed!! Although the innosence she has while playing with it eventhough she completely knows it's dead is kind of sweet!

I love the way Molly so calmly told you the story of the legless bird. I would've been like "Mum! Mum!! Mummy! Mum!! GUESS WHAT I SAW AND PETTED TODAY!?!

m said...

Oh, bless her sweet heart. She JUST HAD TO pet it so she would KNOW just how soft it was. That Molly, what WILL you do with her?? ;)

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing GOD BLESS THAT MOLLY SO INOCENT I could just picture your face.
Nanajo

jude said...

Thought of this today when walking down the street noticing the dead squirrel with no eyes and his guts hanging out. Sarah comes home and says "did you see the dead squirrel with no eyes?" i asked if she brought it home to cuddle and play with like the girl in the video, and she said AH....NO!it had no eyes.