As in, the kids take karate lessons on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. SIMPLE!
But they really, really, REALLY wanted to take tennis lessons this summer.
So, the kids take karate lessons on Tuesday and Thursday evenings AND tennis lessons on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Still pretty simple.
But Jack really, really, REALLY wanted to go to karate camp.
And it was only three days in one week, so for one week it wouldn't be so bad.
Not so simple, but doable.
But then my neighbors were moving and they really, really, REALLY needed someone to watch their kids while the packers were there. For three days. Overlapping with karate camp. And tennis lessons.
AHA! There it was...the threshold from SIMPLE to TOTAL WACKADOO was right there in between "camp" and "packers". And I totally ignored it. For not one, but TWO weeks, because this week Molly had something important and special and one time only to do (it's called Safety Town and I'll try to post about it soon) but it was for 90 minutes a day, in the MIDDLE of the day, all. week. long. Which meant we couldn't go home because there wasn't enough time to get back. And yet, we had to eat lunch while she was there. So we ate out or starved FIVE DAYS IN A ROW.
(Deep cleansing breath) This was an incredibly good reminder of why I deliberately choose to keep it simple.
Because the backlash is this;
- Molly has peed her pants all over town this week
- Ben has peed his pants all over town this week
- I have yelled at all my children on a daily basis
- Ben has hit/punched/kicked/spat upon anyone within his reach
- Jack is his 'worst self', which includes talking back, being rude and mean, and generally being a jerk. Oh and crying and screaming all day long for a wide variety of equally ludicrous reasons.
- I have not slept all week
- The house is a wreck
Laser tag. Tomorrow. I promise. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment