This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Monday, July 11, 2011

The Taste of Summer is GREEK!!



It seems that nearly every summer I fall head over heels in love with a flavor.  One year it was fizzy italian pink lemonade, which I drank like it was going out of style.  Another it was a spinach and strawberry salad with poppyseed dressing.  Another year it was goat cheese.  On anything.  There was the summer of Boar's Head horseradish spread, the summer of fajitas, the summer of cherry sangria, and so on.

This summer is no exception.  It started with a Mother's Day lunch I made from storebought stuff at Whole Foods.  I had zero time and my sister-in-law on the way, so I grabbed a bunch of things from the olive bar, some lettuce, a jar of roasted red peppers, a packet of garlic vinaigrette dressing, some feta cheese and some fig crackers.  Holey YUM it was good!  After we licked our plates clean, Ulia told me that she liked to toss the same kinds of things with cooked pasta...so you can guess how I've been eating my pasta this summer!

The other day we had a going away party for our neighbors and someone brought a dip that rocked my WORLD.  I am posting about it now, only because I'm eating it now  and it's too delicious to keep it to myself.

Carrie Foley's
Rockin' 7 Layer Greek Dip

LAYER 1
On a platter spread a brick of cream cheese
(this is easier said than done - in the future I might try whipped Neufchatel)

LAYER 2
On top of this spread a container of your favorite hummus
(mine is Joseph's Garlic Lovers and nothing else will do)
On top of this, layer

LAYER 3
Sliced kalamata olives

LAYER 4
Diced Roasted Red Peppers

LAYER 5
Sliced pepperoncini

LAYER 6
Diced red onion

LAYER 7
Crumbled Feta cheese


Don't say I didn't warn you when you've eaten the whole platter :)  Greece may have it's problems these days, but one of them is not bored tastebuds.  Opa!!

3 comments:

ktegn said...

This looks and sounds Yum! Can you make it when you come to visit?? :-)

2Bugaboos said...

I'm going to a pool party on Sunday and offered to bring something. This just might be it! (And perfect for my vegetarian cousin).

Beth said...

Judie, I don't know if you have a Costco near you, but they sell Pita Crackers (not chips, these are round crackers in a big white box) that are to DIE for. The perfect delivery system for the dip.