This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Thursday, August 18, 2011

Barbecue on Lilah Lane

When we left MA for our Illinois adventure, I was hopeful that we'd be able to keep our friendships strong, despite the distance.  In some cases, that hasn't panned out.  And that's okay.  Some friendships are long lasting, and some for a season.  Both can be wonderful when you focus on the positive.

Coming back, I was struck by the love we are blessed with, from the friends that did keep us in their hearts and went out of their way to visit with us while we were in Massachusetts.

Molly's best friend Sarah from preschool came with an added side benefit - her awesome mom Meg, who put together the most wonderful evening for us to reconnect.  Filled with fun for the kids, and some of our favorite people from our life in Pembroke.  It was truly like 'coming home' again.  So much so that Molly asked if we could go sleep at our old house for the night and pretend we still lived there.  I;d be lying if I said it didnt' break my heart - but I reminded her, and Jack, and myself, how fortunate we are to have the best of both worlds...our lives in Illinois, and a group of wonderful friends in MA who made us feel so special.

Don't ask me how I didn't get a picture of Meg, Lisa, Kim and I - I blame it on the margaritas!



This is Chuck - you can tell he hates to have a good time ;o)
(his margaritas are rivaled only by his BBQ ribs!!  Yum OH!)



Molly, Sarah and Bella having fun in the pool.  The Leaches even have a SLIDE in their pool ! 
(this is also one of the reasons Ben stayed behind at Nana's house...
Mommy needed a margarita, not a heart attack, lol!)


I just love how much fun Molly was having - she was full of smiles all night.



Jack put on a Magic show for everyone with the new kit Auntie Trecie bought him.



I still can't believe they went to all this trouble for us!



Clockwise from top
Emily Kane, Katie O'Brien, Sarah Leach, Molly, Bella Kane

All but Sarah are from Edgewater Drive - when we moved in, Katie and Emily were 1, and Bella, Molly and Sarah were just twinkles in their mothers' eyes.  It was such a wonderful thing to watch them grow up, and even better to come back a year later and see that they are still as beautiful on the inside as they all are on the outside.  I have pictures of Katie walking Ben up and down the sidewalk in his push-car.  And of Sarah and Molly turning every event into a dress-up opportunity.  And of Emily and Bella doing just about everything with my kids at one time or another. 

We're so lucky to still count them among our favorite people!

1 comment:

m said...

Yea for a well deserved homecoming! Sweet Molly and her thoughtful questions... her deep joy... Jack's penchant for running the show never ceases... and your brilliance with leaving Ben with Nana. I'm sure he had an equally great time being the center of her attention. And now I want a margarita.