This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day Two: Chowdah, Beeah and Shoppin'

After visiting Saint Joe's, we headed back to Kennebunk to grab a late lunch at Federal Jack's, which is the restaurant of the Shipyard Brewery.  Shipyard makes the most amazing pumpkin ale, and they served it rimmed with cinnamon sugar.  It was incredible! 



I think I had clam chowder four times over the course of the weekend, but this one was far and away the best.  You just don't get chowder like this outside of New England...


The view from Federal Jack's is quintessental Maine harbor.  Even on an overcast day it was fabulous.


And the shopping was knock-your-socks-off-awesome!  So many fun things to see and buy (or just take pictures of!)





This was far and away my favorite store.  The Deep Blue.  I didn't buy ANYTHING because I wanted EVERYTHING!  I knew once I started I wouldn't be able to stop, so I just took pictures to remember what I'm going to buy next year when I bring an empty suitcase with me to hold it all.



All handmade from found (and some purchased) shells and seaglass by the artist who owns the shop. 


Everything was so artfully displayed!  Drawers and dishes full of every beautiful seashell you can dream of.




An apothecary jar full of purple sea urchins.  I wanted them ALL.



And the sand dollars!  I once found dozens of them on Plymouth beach, took them home and bleached them in the sun.  I only wish I'd saved them to do THIS with them!  I've never seen another one in the wild.  Maybe someday...

Our last stop was a little shop called The Best of Everything.
And oh yes siree, it was!

Jewelry and accessories galore, and all for such inexpensive prices you'd have thought for sure you'd turn green wearing it (but I can attest that I have not turned green, though I've worn my purchases plenty!)


 The perfect picket fence, and the displays were so artful and festive for fall.



We headed back after the sun set, and all fell asleep early from all the excitement of our day.

The next day we were so sad to say goodbye, but happy that we'd gotten to spend such a special weekend together.  Next time, we definitely have to make that second day a full day of fun, instead of just a quick breakfast and goodbyes.

A few of us stuck around for a bit to get Gwen's superfast local tour of Kennebunk.  It made me wish for next fall to get here soon so we can see even more!


This is just some random Kennebunk house...but they are all even more lovely than the last! 


Even the smaller houses have such special details that you can't help but fall in love.


And the views of the Atlantic!  Just looking at it I can smell the salty air.


This one beach was covered in smooth gray stones.  I took pocketfulls home for souveniers.


Even in October, there were folks out enjoying the shore, though I can only imagine how packed this stretch would be in summer.



Even a quick tour of Kennebunk would not be complete without a peek at the Bush compound.  It's on it's own peninsula with many, many buildings, and the main house is just enormous! 

I can't wait to do it all again, but hopefully with a bit more time to spend next time. 


This quote was hanging in Gwen's house, and it's true.




Thanks to Gwen, for hosting such a fun weekend for all of us - it was such a treasure!  I think the whole weekend can be summed up on Gwen's license plate...


We sure did.

1 comment:

m said...

Happy! I'm just so happy for your fabulous weekend! Not jealous, but really, really happy. And I find myself longing for you to have more time! More fun! More luggage to bring everything you can home! :) It is such a magical place...