This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Around the Neighborhood

Wednesday is supposed to be my "around the house" blogging day, but after spending 40+ hours a week for the last three weeks sitting in the bathroom with a VERY reluctant popper, my house is so scary and out of sorts that I actually fled the premises today rather than clean it.

It's hard to blame me when the weather has been so unseasonably gorgeous, dare I even say "unbearably hot" the last day or two.  I have had to make a full-scale seasonal switcheroo of household items and clothing, and we are literally acting as if summer was upon us.  Flip flops, sunscreen, sprinklers, the whole nine yards.  I even had to break down and crank the air conditioning on, even all night long, it's been that hot!

Mother nature is feeling it too!  Spring literally leapt out of the ground this past week.  Usually, the season creeps in gradually as one thing after another begins to bloom.  Not so this year!  Every single thing is blooming all at once - forsythia, daffodils, crabapples, magnolias...you name it, and it's literally EXPLODING forth right now.

Yesterday the kids had a day off of school and we spent it at the zoo.  At 10:00am, we entered the gate through a street lined with crabapple trees full of buds.  At 2pm, we exited, to a street lined with fully bloomed trees!  And when we got home, our own street was in full bloom too!

It only took me about three hours to figure out how to make this collage using Instagram coupled with Diptic.
Clockwise from upper left; daylilies shooting up, crabapples blooming, daffodils standing proud and a sweltering 81 degrees at 7pm.  Has anyone reminded Mother Nature that it's MARCH 21st, not MAY 21st?

I can't even imagine what will happen next, but I expect it to be a very interesting Spring.

2 comments:

m said...

Hate to tell you that what you are witnessing is what I always witnessed growing up. We had flowers and leaves on trees for Easter. And Mother's Day. The last couple of years in Illinois were such sad Springs for me, missing those brilliant colors and fragrances. I'm so glad you are having a "nice" spring. What are the farmer's markets like? Started up again? And what a treat to leave the zoo with a canopy of blooms to shade you!

Beth said...

It's really funny Mel - people don't even know how to act around here with this goodness!! They are either waiting for the other shoe to drop (i.e. a blizzard on Easter) or terrified that it's going to be 120 in July...we're too hardened by springs of the past, lol!

The farmer's markets and farm stands are still boarded up for the winter - I'm hoping that they'll be open for easter, but had to pick up some fake flowers at Hobby Lobby to fill my doorstep urns because they are crying out to join in all this springtime fun!