I have this sauce I make for pasta. Pasta that's been around a day or two and needs some reviving. It's kind of a modified riff on alfredo sauce. And the kids go bananas over it. I can even throw PUMPKIN in it and they don't care, that is the power of the sauce. Developed accidentally out of desperation - isn't that usually where the best ideas come from?
Here's how I do it.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt a hunk of butter or your favorite buttery spread (ours is Smart Balance - not as tasty as butter, but better for Daddy's ticker!) If you twist my arm, I will say that a "hunk" is equal to 1/8-1/4 cup. Pour in some half and half. Cream would be heavenly, but it's a bit too decadent for this house. Milk will work in a pinch, but won't thicken as well. So half and half is the perfect middle ground. Add a cup, two cups, it depends on a. how much you have on hand and b. how much pasta you need to revive. When in doubt, start with one cup and add more later if needed. The sauce is forgiving like that.
Add your favorite seasonings, but just a touch. We are happy with a sprinkling of sea salt, fresh ground pepper and sometimes a dash or two of garlic powder. If we have fresh sage on hand, that's another yummy toss-in.
Throw in a few sprinkles to a handful of grated parmesan cheese and (if you're so inclined) a few heaping tablespoons of butternut squash puree or pumpkin puree (especially if you used the sage - they are a marriage made in heaven!) In fact, any veggie puree would probably work in this sauce - roasted red pepper, carrot, sweet potato, asparagus...my brain is churning with new ideas!
Stir it up a little - it should be getting bubbly around the edges now.
Now toss in your cold, leftover pasta and stir it into the sauce to get warmed through. After a few minutes of simmering, the sauce will magically thicken. I don't know if this is because it reduces or because of some other chemical reaction (i.e "magic!") but when it happens, you're done! Start to finish this should take about 5 minutes.
So to recap...
Mommy's Special Sauce
1/8 Cup of Smart Balance
1-2 cups of half and half
Salt, pepper and any spices you like
A handful of grated parmesan
Optional: Pumpkin, squash or veggie puree
Stir it all together over medium heat, add your pasta, warm through until sauce thickens and enjoy!
6 comments:
That sounds delish! I always cook the entire box of pasta (whether or not I need it all) because it saves me SO much time for the next diner. And I bet the sauce thickens because of the starch in the pasta. Just a thought. :)
P.S. Have you tried "Olivio" buttery spread? It's delish! I like the light version and the spray for corn and veggies, etc.
just finished making it tonight - looks and smells unbelievable. Will send pictures later.
Hope it goes over well Mel! :)
Judie, thanks SO MUCH for the rec - I am totally trying Olivio, because as you can imagine, trying to use a tub of 'spread' to butter your corn has its drawbacks!
Totally made the sauce again tonight, but added sautéed mushrooms and garlic spinach to the sauce before adding the pasta. Can't wait for the kids and Daddy to come in and eat dinner!
Post a Comment