This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Birthday Wish List!

People (meaning Marc and a few loving family members) are always asking what I want for my birthday.  Admittedly, I'm pretty terrible at making a list, because in all honesty, I have more blessings than I could ever dream of and trying to think up things I want on top of all that goodness kind of makes me feel kind of greedy.
 
But you only turn 40 once! 
 
 So I'm trying to turn over a new leaf, because if I'm not careful, I'll quickly turn into my parents who always tell us, "We don't need anything!" when we beg them for ideas for birthdays and anniversaries.  Of course they don't *need*  anything, but if they don't come up with an idea or two, then Mum is going to get a picture of the kids, and Dad is going to get Omaha Steaks or a plaid flannel shirt...for the 112th time and counting.
 
So here's my best attempt at a wish list, ranging from the totally cheap and easy, to the laughably over-the-top.  I'll have you know it's taken a whole lot of brain power to come up with these things - I've been keeping notes for six months!  So it counts as my Christmas list too.  And anniversary.  And any other random holiday that crops up for the next few years.
 
 
Starbuck's Gift Cards....$1 and up
 
A thrice weekly indulgence of mine...that I always feel slightly guilty about because honestly, I can make coffee at home if I take four seconds to do so, you know?  That's ten dollars I could be saving for something important, or giving to someone less fortunate. 

(I'm even feeling guilty right now)
But gosh, it just tastes so GOOD when they make it!


Better Homes and Gardens Magazine  ...$5.99

I'm a sucker for this magazine - always have been and always will be!



Midwest Living Magazine...$15.00

I swear this magazine has to be made by the same people at BHG.  It's just as good, PLUS it's midwest-specific!  It's helped me make a grand bucket list of fun adventures for us to go on while we're lucky to be Midwesterners via transplant.  And it's made me appreciate what a beautiful region we live in.



Phat Strap...$28.95
 
I adore my current Phat strap, and have used it for so long that it's starting to get Ring-Around-The-Collar!  I want to take it off and wash it, but I need a backup to put on while the original drip-dries.
Enter this gray chevron and aqua minky dot beauty...
it's got my name written all over it!
 
 


 
 
 
 
This image was hanging over the kitchen table at the home where I attended a Power of Moms retreat last April. I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. How can you look at this picture, titled "Let the Children Come" and not hear the laughter or feel the love for children in Christ's heart?

I want my kids to know Him like that.

And in true, serendipitious fashion
(I love how the Lord has a knack for that)
the gospel in church this week was Mark 10:2–16

"...Let the children come to me and don’t stop them,
for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these"

 
 
My 2004 Nissan Quest has seen 8 years of abuse and she's still ticking like clockwork!
She's dinged and scratched and not looking her best on the outside, but we mostly spend time looking at the inside...which admittedly, also needs some help.  Particularly since the raspberry sorbet incident of this past summer...which coincided with the great Spot Bot failure of 2012.  Not a good combination!  A full detailing is a necessity before baby comes.
 
 
 
Having lost 50lbs over the last 3 years, I found out that there is a side benefit to being plump - it keeps your wrinkles filled in!  I had hoped I was just one of those lucky people that doesn't age, but alas, now that the weight is gone, the crows's feet are making their debut.
 
My neighbor Kris is 38 and looks like she's 12.
She uses this skincare line.
That's enough of a testimonial for me!
 
 


 
I had my first crown put on a few months ago (no root canal needed thank goodness), and I want it to be my LAST! I don't think it would be fair for me to have a snazzy toothbrush and poor Marc be left to suffer with a cheapo bristle brush, so this model has two of everything!


 

 
 

No matter how devoted I am to my nifty fifty, I need an all purpose zoom lens that is lightweight, multifunctional, and dependable.  When our friends Malena and Fede visited from Mexico this summer, I was astounded by the shots Fede was getting using this very lens on a camera body that was similar to mine. 

The kit lens that came with my camera is too heavy and not versatile enough.  And it's also broken, ha!  Just a few months after the warranty ran out of course.  Canon wants $179 to fix it.  Rather than throw good money after bad, I think I should give the broken lens to Jack to tinker with and get this one (that comes with a six YEAR warranty) for just a little more.

 
Photography Class with Amy Tripple... $250


I adore this local photographer's work.  But her price is just too steep for me!  However, she also teaches parents how to get the same quality shots out of their own DSLR cameras that she gets from hers.  I've been itching to try out her Sweet Shots II class, and since I've got a new muse on the way...I think it's time!
 
 


 
If I had this kind of money lying around to do something frivolous (but meaningful) with, I would love to have our family painted into the mural in our city's downtown.  So I told Marc if he got any crazy ideas about diamonds or a new car, THIS is what I'd want instead.
 
It's so magical to watch the artists work, first penciling in each face, then brushing it on in sepia tones, and finally laying down the colors that make it come to life. 
 
I don't think we'll be in Naperville forever, but it sure would be amazing to have our images here for the long haul, to remember what a special time this was in our family's journey and to have something to visit and revisit as our adventure grows into new directions.
 

So there you have it! 
THE BIG WISH LIST 
It was even kind of fun to put together!
Now if only I could convince everyone else in my life to do the same,
gift-buying would be so much easier!


1 comment:

m said...

So happy for you! What a fun wish list! 40 isn't bad, at all. I don't even mind saying it now, almost a year later for me. Still can't wait to hear about the House of Mickey da Mouse!