![]() |
For now, let me be in denial about what having my car in the shop for 5 out of the last ten days has done to my perfectly orchestrated plan. Instead, let me focus on something totally non-urgent, like the fact that we need a new master bed to sleep in.
Knowing my children as I do, I'm fairly confident that all three will be sandwiched in between my dearest and I for at least the first week in our new home. And the fact is that we simply do not fit in our current queen bed. When we purchased this bed a month before bringing home our first bundle of joy, it seemed ENORMOUS compared to the full bed we'd been sleeping in for the first 4+ years of our marriage. A KING? Why would we want a KING? We'd be so faaaaaarrrrrr from one another in the night. No, king-sized beds are for couples that don't love each other enough to value cuddling in the night.
The past 8 years of parenthood have brought some wisdom with them. Like the fact that king sized beds are also for couples who don't like to wake up at 3am with small feet stuck up their nose, or a squishy diaper nestled into their ear while a small person (who they really do love during daylight hours) tries to make a nest in their hair.
A King is not a luxury in our lives right now, it's a necessity!
We already know the mattresses we want. I would sell my CAR for these things they are so "heavenly" (wink wink). Not skimping on the mattress means that I really need to be frugal on the bed frame. I also am a bit greener than I was the first go-round at the furniture store, so would love to be able to buy a pre-owned bed. But people must like their kings, because neither Craigslist in Chicagoland or Boston is being of much assistance.
Like a crystal ball, suddenly, my preferences are outlined in front of me and I can zero in on what it is that I want. Like this...
And voila! It's all clear to me now. I like;
- Slender framed canopy beds- Sleigh beds
- Upholstered headboards
- Neutral shades like cream and silver grey with lots of different textures.
I would LOVE to create a one-of-a-kind upholstered headboard. They seem so hotel-chic to a stay at home mommy like myself. All I'd need is some craft supplies and a cheapo bed frame! Sadly, my other half spends so much time in hotels that hotel-chic is the last thing he's looking for in a bedroom. He'd prefer to stick with the solid wood sleigh bed we already have, just supersized. But I'm kind of over it and looking to try something new. Enter the slender framed canopy bed.
If money was no object (or guilt), I would buy this bed...
![]() |
| The Willa Bed by Oly Studio |
I'd get it in the silver finish offered at Alice Lane. It's not pictured there, but I know it would be FABULOUS. Of course, since the only price listed online for the bed is "call for pricing"...we know this one is definitely not for us.
![]() |
| The Antonia Bed by Pottery Barn |
In the end, I'm thinking it's worth a shot. It sure helped me relax for two hours tonight while I stuck my head in the sand and pretended I don't have a major timeline crunch to face...so already it has that going for it! We shall see what the hubby thinks...





5 comments:
Beth- Have I told you that I am so happy you started this blog? I love seeing into your life.
Yes, king size beds are a must! So glad you'll be getting one!
I Love your Binder idea! Going to steal that one! I LOVE your style! Those canopy beds are beautiful! Can't wait to see what you get! :)
I'll be thinking of you these next few weeks. Good luck with your move!
Oooh, fun! All of those beds are beautiful. We have a king sized maple sleigh bed with a California king matress. I love it, but finding sheets that I like and will actually fit over the mattress are kinda a pain (that's why I only own two sets!). Good luck with your final days in Massachusetts. You must be flooded with emotion... I keep thinking of you and wishing I could help in some small way! :)
I love canopy beds. My bed growing up was actually a canopy, until my brother thought he could do a chin up on it. *rolls eyes*
I found our black sleigh bed through Target, unbelievably. Had a great experience with customer service too when it arrived broken. So, I say order the bed you like but are afraid is somewhat rickety, as long as they have a simple return process (ie, free and they come pick it up). It would concern me a bit having those open spaces if I were to be co-sleeping with an infant, but not with the big kids. :)
How random, the word verification for this comment is "bed izou"!
We bought an inexpensive bed recently and I was afraid of the quality, too. That thing is rock solid. Give it a go - as long as the CS and return policy are golden. :)
http://craftrookie.blogspot.com/2010/08/someday-ill-have-house.html
Saw this today and thought of your new bed...
Post a Comment