Technically, Marc and I *do* pick up. In fact, just yesterday, Marc kicked the laundry's behind - I came home from shopping and my heart skipped a beat at all he'd done in my absence! But both of us work really hard all week at our respective jobs, and on the weekends, we like to relax a little bit, slack off if you will. And frankly, I've tried keeping up appearances on weekends and it's proven to be a futile and exhausting pastime that only ends up in grumpiness.
So we let it slide on weekends. A lot.
| Toys everywhere, couch cushions missing.... |
| Aha! There are those missing cushions! Apparently a fort-building mission is underway. |
| You can bet your bippy the beds are not made. And the laundry (while folded!) will not be put away until Monday. |
| Seriously. Not one bed made. Nope! |
| Breakfast dishes may be left on the table until lunch is served, and lunch dishes until dinnertime. You don't even want to see what the kitchen sink looks like! |
| You can bet that all SORTS of projects will be started. Few, if any, will be finished. Art for example. Crafts of all sorts. |
| Paper Airplane building (inside a reinforced bunker made of, you guessed it, couch cushions!) |
| And what else to do with all those empty couches, but turn THEM into forts too! |
Because, you know, it's HARD WORK all this No-Saying and Home-Keeping and Mouth-Feeding. Neverending! Exhausting! And who could blame us for taking a break?
Eventually though, usually around the time that Sunday supper needs to be prepared, we take a look around and GASP at the sheer spread of the disaster zone. Our house is twice as big now, and the mess knows no bounds because it doesn't end until there's a wall to stop it.
It's embarrassing, really - I would be horrified if anyone came to visit. Even the thought of a visitor is usually enough to make my stomach do flip flops...
....but not enough to get up off the deconstructed couch where I'm sitting in my jammies with my Parade Magazine and coupon circulars and cup of coffee!
5 comments:
Still, there are no reports of missing children or missing parents, for that matter. And all is as it should be... happy, fed, chaotic, and totally digging the new groove that is your new home.
Why don't you have another cuppa joe and read one. more. magazine. Monday will be there, no need to go looking for it.
I do believe that a house is not a home unless it is truly LIVED in. Sure, nothing gives me more peace than a tidy livingroom, neatly folded laundry, and clean sink. However, nothing makes me happier to see my messy playroom covered with toys because then I know my kids are actually using and enjoying them! I think we put so much pressure on ourselves to keep organized 24/7... we need to let go and live more in the moment. GREAT post! :)
I want to live in your couch and eat Molly's dark chocolate peanut butter chips. Love you muches!!!
ok, that yellow lamp in your play room is AMAZING!!!! and dark chocolate peanut butter....what do I find such a treasure?
The PB is called Dark Chocolate Dreams by The Peanut Butter Co. and we get it at good ole Target! They have white chocolate peanut butter too, but it doesn't have as much choclatey goodness going on.
And that lamp (can you see the price tag is still attached?) is from Homegoods. I was sure it was just wierd enough that it would end up on the clearance rack, but after visiting it six times I simply had to buy it at full price because if I lost it for being cheap I'd regret it forever. It was $59.99 - the most I'd ever spent on a lamp! most of my others came from Walmart or yard sales! And the last time I was at Homegoods, you guessed it, two were on clearance for $29.99 each! So if you're in need of lamps, head to the Homegoods clearance aisle!
Post a Comment