This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Friday, November 5, 2010

First Day of "School"!

There are many unique things about Chicagoland, and we've discovered one we like a LOT. It's called Parent's Day Out, or 'PDO' for short. It's sort of a cross between day care and preschool. They have circle time, snack time, story time, free play time, outdoor play time, art time and even a music lesson! The key difference between PDO and preschool is that the caregivers CHANGE DIAPERS! This is why it's a good choice for a certain almost-three-year-old who hasnt' made friends with the potty yet.

It's also a good choice for a certain Mommy who loves her boy and knows that he might need therapy if she takes him on one more home decorating shopping trip. A certain Mommy who used her last pair of contact lenses ages ago, and whose glasses are falling off her face, but who knows there is no way humanly possible for her toddler to sit through her necessary eye exam. Or the line at the DMV where she needs to get a new license and new plates for her car.

There are things that need to be done around here that are just not Ben-friendly. Enter PDO. Yesterday was our first day! Ben was just GIDDY at the thought that he was going to 'school'.


"Mama? Am I really going to SCHOOL??!"

"Mama? Am I going to school, TODAY??!!"

"But Mama, where is my school bus?"

And he looked every bit the part in his robot tee and khaki pants, paired with his hand-me-down backpack and Toy Story light-up sneakers.







I figured it was a 50/50 shot I'd get a call that he punched someone in the nose.  Third children tend to have pre-emptive reflexes from being the low man on the totem pole.  But his teacher said that he did FANTASTIC!  Asked for me a few times nonchalantly, participated in everything, played well, listened incredibly well, sat still in circle time like a pro!  I'm no first timer - I know that eventually I will get the call that he punched someone, but until then, I'll take beginner's luck wherever I can find it!!

2 comments:

ktegn said...

Oh my precious-ness!! I'm litterally looking at these pictures with tears streaming down my face! He looks so grown up! I cannot believe he's going to be 3, and I cannot believe he is going to SCHOOL! I miss him and you all so much...hurry up Thanksgiving and get her soon!!! xoxoxo

m said...

Oh, Ben, those are not the eyes of someone who punches in the face. They simply cannot be!
Beth, so jealous of your PDO. I'm contemplating the dentist Monday with the two... hm.
Still, you're a fantastic mama and I hope you can check those non-Ben-friendly items off your list more quickly and easily with PDO in your pocket!