This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Grass is Always Greener

Thursday is for crafties!  This one is quick and dirty, but packs a punch!  I took a clearance ceramic container from Michaels (I think it cost $8) added some potting soil leftover from last year's garden experiments, and tossed some grass seed on top.  It was in a shaker bottle that the little old guy at Ace Hardware convinced me was perfect for the job.  In retrospect, it was probably a little overkill to spend $14 on it, but he was a little old guy and I'm a girl who trusts the judgment of little old guys, so there you go.

Clearance Planter 
+
Old Potting Soil
+
Grass Seed
+
10 Days (really, ten!)
______________________________



It's brightened up our kitchen table all week!  I know it won't last forever, but I've got 7/8ths of a shaker bottle and a half a bag of potting soil left, so we should be able to keep it growing until summer!

6 comments:

ktegn said...

I love your ability to make such simple things look so elegant and classy!

2Bugaboos said...

The perfect grassy spot for Easter eggs!

m said...

My grass is growing great, but I used hard red wheat berries from the bulk bins at WF - $1.19 a pound. I love having it to tend - though we are nearing a haircut for our grass. So fun to see that like minds think alike - xoxo

Beth said...

You read my mind Judie!

Beth said...

Thanks Katie :)

Beth said...

Mel, I TOTALLY wanted to do it the way you did, but I couldn't get myself to Whole Foods. I love that yours is 'trim-worthy'! Ours is a bit too fine, but I'm thinking that maybe I can use it as a sod patch for the lawn when I'm done ;-)