This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Broccoli Crunch Salad

I'm not ashamed to admit that I had an out of body gastronomic experience at Whole Foods last week.  I was out running errands and about to do my grocery shopping on an empty stomach (never a good idea!).  So I popped into Whole Foods and had myself a $10 salad bar fiesta.  I love to try a little bit of everything, especially their asian dishes (because I don't have all the funky ingredients needed to make something like that) and their nutty dishes (because we have a no-nuts policy at our house on account of our favorite tree-nut-allergic 4 year old).

Who knew that I would nearly fall over from happiness over BROCCOLI?  I mean, I enjoy cooked broccoli like most people, but trying to gag down the raw stuff is a challenge, even though it's soooo good for you.

Whole Foods' Broccoli Crunch Salad was like a broccoli evangelist, and praise the vegetable gods, I have been converted!!  I spent the next week trolling the internet for a DIY recipe, and cobbled together a few to come up with something mostly healthful, that tastes so good I ate it for every meal until it was all gone.

If that isn't enough of a reason to try the recipe, how's this? 
 I lost TWO POUNDS the day I ate it.  And I was so full all day I thought I'd burst.
I guess raw broccoli really does do a body good!


BROCCOLI CRUNCH SALAD
A Whole Foods Knockoff




For the Salad
4-6 Cups Broccoli Crowns, chopped bite size
1/2 Cup Dried Currants, Raisins or Craisins (or any mix of them)
1/2 Cup Bacon Crumbles
1/2 Cup Finely diced red onion
1/2 Cup Sesame Sticks* (for a nut-free salad)
OR 1/2 Cup Candied Cashews

For the Dressing
1/2 Cup Light Mayonnaise
1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2 T Honey (more to taste)
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper

Toss the salad ingredients in a bowl.  *If using sesame sticks, sprinkle them on just before serving or they will get mushy.  Whisk the dressing ingredients together, adjusting as necessary for taste and consistency.  I find some days I add more honey and others more vinegar, depending on the mood my tastebuds are in.  Toss salad with dressing and let the flavors meld in the fridge for a few hours if you can stand it.   (I can't - I eat it straight out of the bowl.  In fact, just pausing to take the picture was torture!)

Bon Appetit!

6 comments:

m said...

Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sending good things this way! And two pounds? Wowza. That's some powerful good for you!

2Bugaboos said...

I've had broccoli salad on the brain since I read this post yesterday! So when I was at Market Basket today I picked up a container of their homemade version. I'm sure it wasn't as good as yours, but it was definitely yummy!

Beth said...

Mmmm, Judie - Market Basket's was probably even more delicious, because I'll bet the used *real* mayonnaise!

Beth said...

I think you'll like it Mel - it's a great blend of savory, sweet and crunchy (now if we could only work chocolate into it somehow it might be food nirvana!)

2Bugaboos said...

I actually had to chase mine with a few peanut M&M's because the red onion was SO strong. Just a thought! ;-)

Stefanie said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this! I've been craving broccoli (and citrus and of course SUGAR) lately...but this seems like the healthier choice of them all. :)