This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

Maeve's first Valentine's Day was a bit of a doozy.  She's been fussy on and off since her six week growth spurt, but yesterday she outdid herself and screamed bloody murder for the whole afternoon and long into the evening.  She tuckered herself out so much that she slept for 7 hours!  I don't know that the tradeoff was worth it though - I think I'd be willing to get up more in the middle of the night in exchange for a scream-free day.
 
We did have some of fun getting ready for Valentine's Day this year, though it was nothing like years past.  I was feeling kind of guilty for phoning it in, and peeked at my post from Valentine's Day 2011.  YEESH!  I think I intimidated myself!  Pinterest didn't even exist then, but we crafted our faces off - maybe we were due for a lull to even things out.
 
This year I dressed the kids up in some fabulous clothes and accessories that my friend Sandy gave them, and took their pictures with Nannie and Grey while they were visiting.  Maeve was having a good day so she slept through the photo shoot thank goodness.
 
 
She even gave me half a smile!!
 
 
While Nannie was getting ready, I got daddy to snap one of me with the kids.
 
 
And then I took a few of the kids together.
 
 
 
The matching hair bows make my heart go pitty pat!
 
 
 
Jack does such a nice job holding Maeve. 
He's dying to walk around with her in his arms, but she's not quite sturdy enough yet.
 
 
Mr. G.Q.
 
 
Once Nannie was ready, everyone cooperated - not a small feat in this house!
 
 
 
Here's Nannie with her oldest and youngest grandchild...
 
 
And one of just the girls...
 
 
We even convinced Grey to jump in!
 
 
I love taking pictures from above - it's such a great vantage point
(and as I told Deb, it's always flattering!)
 
 
 
Be Mine?
Did you even have to ask?
You had me at hello my sweet girl.
 
 
As for decorations, wait for it...
 
 
Whew!
I'm exhausted just looking at it all!
(No really, that's all of it.  One garland, and done!)
 
 
The garland idea was taken from a similar one a crafty friend sent me a wihle back.
Hers had tiny hearts punched from paint chips,
hand sewn in a string with white thread.
 
It was so beautiful in it's simple perfection - so I let the kids have at it one weekend day
with cardstock and a punch (this was all I could manage to score in between feedings one day when I escaped from the house). 
Molly handled the sewing after I pre-stabbed holes in the hearts.
This little garland was 100% her work.
 
 
Luckily, I have family and friends who filled in the blanks!
 
Auntie Treecie brought us Valentine's placemats and other goodies.
Nannie and Nana and Nana Nancy spoiled us with presents and cards.
And Auntie Ulia did what she does best....there are no words for this so pictures must suffice!
 
 
This box weighed about five pounds.
I can't even imagine how much butter and sugar that counts for.
And I don't care.
Because they taste even better than they look!
 
 
He hearts his mustache.
Molly too!
 
 
Even Maeve wanted in on the action!
 
 
I did manage to sneak away for an hour or so that afternoon
to grab a few little gifts for my crew.
 
Titleist Golf balls for Daddy
(the male equivalent of long-stemmed red roses)
a new underarmor set for Jack to wear to volleyball practice
A Winx microphone for Molly
and a set of Marvel Minimates for Ben.
 
And Daddy brought home some gifts too!
Roses for Auntie Treecie, Molly and I,
and tickets to a Pentatonix concert in a few weeks!
He even wrangled a babysitter for the night.
(thank you Auntie Ulia!)
 
Now I just need to get my fussy girl to take a bottle.
Easier said than done, but we're going to try!

2 comments:

m said...

Oh, goodness! The fluff! The red! The bling! The 'staches! You all had a great day - the guys are already breaking hearts, I know. And those two girls will be best friends forever. And Ulia is showing me up - I need to get baking again!! ;)

Stefanie said...

Love the sneak peek of you and Maeve -- so good to see your smiling face again. Miss you! Your kiddos are beautiful and LOVED (crafts or no crafts). XOXO