It's not easy coming up with bedtime stories to please a 3rd grade chapter-book-reader and a kindergarten emerging reader, but the series we are reading right now has them both DYING of suspense and excitement!
I've been saving it for years, literally. The store that I bought it from no longer exists these have been gathering dust for so long.
But when Ben and Molly (and even Jack eavesdropping) made it through A Wrinkle in Time and The Last of the Really Great Whandoodles (twice!) I knew it was time.
Here's a hint...
It's The Chronicles of Narnia!!!!!
I have chills just thinking about it. About how this was the first story EVER that moved me to tears from just WORDS on a PAGE. I don't even remember how old I was. Eight? Eleven? Sixteen? But I'll never forget Aslan and the sacrifice he made and how it rocked me to my core...and I'm so beyond excited that the kids are into the story as much as I was.
I'd never read The Magician's Nephew before, and it was the perfect place to start. The kids went bananas over crazy Uncle Andrew and evil queen Jadis and smart, sure Polly and Digory the boy who reminds us of another boy or two who struggle with self-control.
And now we're 3/4 of the way through The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and I hope I can hold it together through the tough part that I know is coming. Especially at this time of year when I wear my faith on my sleeve and thoughts of newborn babes-in-mangers and ultimate sacrifices are on my mind.
I've promised the kids that when we finish (next week maybe?) we will have a big movie night where we watch the movie and feast on Turkish Delight. Who even knew what Turkish Delight was when I read the book originally? Now, thanks to the internet, we can not only look it up, we can BUY it right there with a click or two!
Doesn't it look delectable??!
Ben is seriously beside himself about the Turkish Delight -
he does an excited dance every time he mentions it...which is often!
Oh how I love bringing out the bookworms in these little people!



1 comment:
BETH!!!!!!!! This post gave me goosebumps!!! Please share with the kiddos that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is mine (and Uncle Cory's!) FAVORITE BOOK!!!! I could read it over and over and OVER! Corey and I were dating when the movie came out, so we went to see it together on one of our first dates! Now you know why I wanted to name Anna Lucy...but clearly she is an Anna! lol. I am so jealous you get to read this book with the kids. I wish I could be sitting in the room with you when you do! And I LOVE that you are going to "reward" them with movie night and Turkish Delight!! You are a rockstar mom!!! HAPPY READING & HAPPY WATCHING! Oh, and I TOTALLY cried even reading the book. The movie is going to be just as moving! And the little girl playing Lucy is ADORABLE!!
Post a Comment