Nobody was more surprised than Marc and I that there was a BABY underneath our Christmas tree this year! I was totally unprepared for being put on bedrest and not at all ready for bringing a baby into the world. I was still not done Christmas shopping for goodness sakes! I didn't even have diapers yet! And everyone was sick in the house to boot - Molly and Ben had been throwing up, Jack caught a flu-like bug that knocked him down with a fever, chills, aches and cough for three days, and Marc caught a combination of both.
Thank goodness we still had four weeks until the baby came.
Except that we didn't!
My blood pressure kept going up, and with my body nowhwere near ready to go into labor, there was only one option: we had to have a c-section. I'd spent my pregnancy seeing a chiropractor twice a week, driving to a 'natural birth friendly' hospital and midwifery practice 35 minutes away from home, exercising throughout the pregnancy, doing squatting and yoga exercises, ALL with plans for a natural, unmedicated VBAC just like with Molly and Ben.
But sometimes you've just got to play the cards you're dealt. I had a wonderful 35 weeks of pregnancy. It was heaven. Magical. Perfect. Even when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it was easy to stay within my limits because I was so healthy.
Week 36, however, required me to reassess priorities and chuck just about every hope I had for this baby's birth right out the window. Because in the end, developing pre-eclampsia and having seizures at home on Christmas Day was even LESS in my plans than having an unexpected c-section.
And of course, I knew from Jack's birth (which unfolded much the same way), that once my baby was here, I wouldn't care one bit about the rest. And I was right...now that she's here, I can't imagine having to wait for Maeve to arrive until January 12th!
But having a baby four days before Christmas certainly changes plans.
Christmas this year was unique.
The first, and biggest change was that Marc had to go to herculean effort to get everything done that needed to be done around the house to prepare for the holidays, even with a puke bucket in between his feet one night when he was particularly ill. He totally earned the awesome husband of the year award for everything he did to pick up the slack where I needed to bow out.
Secondly, I didn't have a nice breakfast prepared for us to enjoy Christmas morning like I usually do. Or lunch, or even dinner for that matter.
But there were excited children gigglin in the hallway MUCH too early in the morning, just like usual. And there were LOADS of presents in neatly labeled piles around the family room, just like always.
Except that this year, Auntie Treecie and Baby Maeve had piles too!
Molly was exceptionally excited about a set of Winx dolls Santa brought her.
Because I haven't let any of my kids NEAR the toy aisle of any department store in months, she had no idea they even exsisted. But Santa did. And he must have known that she would LOVE them, even if Mommy had to get over their questionable wardrobe choices.
There was also a whole lot of American Girl Doll paraphernalia to be opened as well.
Jack made a list with three things on it this year.
Marc and I told him he couldn't have two of the three
(the compound crossbow and the $700 telescope).
Santa did bring him the Airzooka he asked for.
He brought Ben one too, and much fun (albeit noisy fun) has become of them.
Ben got oodles of Ghostbusters toys.
A coup for Santa, since much of it consisted of collector's items meant for grownups.
Not 5 year old Ghostbuster fans
(who have never even seen the movie!)
So a few things stayed the same, though a whole lot of traditions and ideas got left by the wayside this year (for good reason of course). But one tradition I wasn't going to let slip by was the Christmas Family Picture. I've taken one every year since Marc and I got married (except for last year for some reason) and I was not going to miss the chance to get one with our sweet new baby under the tree.
It took a few tries to shake some sillies out.
Ben with his sillies,
and poor Marc with his sick eyes (he was still nauseous and achy).
Molly looks like Vanna White turning the baby instead of letters.
But Maeve was an angel tucked into her basket
(I think she was pretty comfy all squished up like she'd been in my tummy).
And Molly quickly got with the program because she wanted pictures with her sister as much as Mommy did!
My sweet girls.
And this precious baby!
My heart could burst!
And we did finally get one with all of us in it.
The first Mallett Family Christmas picture as a family of SIX.
And memories to cherish for many years to come.




1 comment:
Do you know why I'm the first to comment and this post has been up for 48 hours? It's because everyone reading it is so stunned by the beauty of your family and the photos of them. You all look amazing! Even though you were: puking, coughing, feverish, GIVING BIRTH, just born, racing around before Christmas day, and stuff like that. It's enough to render your readers speechless. Though, I must ask about the tradition of the piles of presents. I don't know of this practice and I'd like to learn. Also, since you didn't know you were having a girl, how did you get a girl Christmas outfit for sweet Maeve? I have all these questions. I really need to just pick up the phone. :) But I'll be damned if I'm going to wake up a sleeping baby or mama who should be napping, not blogging :)
Love you, Beth. Keep it coming!
Really impressive baby and the tree photos. Really.
Post a Comment