This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Letter to Ben's Teacher


Dear Mrs. Macchiarella,

It was great to meet you yesterday and we are looking forward to Orientation on Thursday.  I loved the information packet you sent in the mail and am writing to tell you a little bit about Ben.   Ben is #3 of our 4 children.  He has an 11 year old brother named Jack who is starting 6th grade at Gregory Middle School, and an 8 year old sister, Molly, who will be in Mrs. Rosenberg’s 3rd grade class.  Ben has been the baby of the family for the past five years, until this past Christmas when we welcomed his baby sister Maeve into the fold.  He’s never acted like the ‘baby’ though, and has been chasing his brother and sister around since he could crawl.  He adjusted beautifully when Maeve came home, and we are so proud of what a doting big brother he has become.
 
Ben is an awesome kid.  He’s funny and bright, with an imagination that never quits.  He loves books, lives for superheroes and science projects, and is a good friend and loyal little brother.   He’s cuddly and kindhearted, but as the third child, he’s used to having to fight for what he wants amongst the big kids, so he can come off as overly assertive or aggressive to kids who don’t have that experience themselves.  He’s also got a huge case of idolizing his big brother and his 11 year old friends, which means you’ll likely hear things coming out of his mouth that are parroting the big boys (and potentially inappropriate for the kindergarten set).  Case in point, I’ve had to ban the song  “I’m sexy and I know it” from my house!
 
Ben’s curiosity is intense, which is both a blessing and a curse.  He thrives on learning and is incredibly articulate and inquisitive.  He’s figured out how to sound out words and is on the brink of that magnificent moment when the reading lightbulb goes off – he’s going to be unstoppable when that happens because he already spends hours poring over books and magazines without even knowing what the words say.  And he’s surprised me many times with his math knowledge – he seems to pick things up like a sponge.
 
But like I said, that curiosity also brings challenges.  Ben has a hard time accepting limits, such as not asking questions constantly, not being concise with his imaginative monologues (he’d go on for hours if you let him), not keeping his hands off things that intrigue him (like the Smartboard in the classroom at Meet and Greet!), and most challenging of all, not staying put when he wants to investigate something.  In other words…he’s a flight risk!
 
In fact, at orientation yesterday, while we were in Mrs. Rosenberg’s classroom, he told me he wanted to go back downstairs.  He took off running, and I couldn’t catch him because of the crowds.  It took us 20 minutes to find him.  I’ve learned after hundreds of experiences like this not to worry, but to try and get inside his head to figure out which way he went.  I was thrilled to find out that your classroom was the third one down the hall, because it will be harder for him to escape the building from your classroom (though I have no doubt he’ll try!)
 
The best way to work with Ben, is to set firm limits and use positive discipline strategies to reinforce them (I know I’m preaching to the choir here).  The structure and routine inherent to school also helps.  He wants to be a helper and loves to learn, so within a few weeks I’m sure he’ll be adjusted and having a blast.
 
I’m grateful that I have baby Maeve at home, because otherwise I’d spend the whole day missing Ben – he is a total cutie-pie and a constant source of entertainment.  We all love him to pieces, and I know you’re going to enjoy having him in your classroom!
 
Please keep in touch – my husband Marc and I are totally approachable about discipline issues, learning issues, any issues really.  We adore our kids, but we are not blind to their eccentricities and challenges.  If you have any challenges with Ben, it’s likely that we are dealing with the same thing at home – we’d love to help in any way we can.
 
Looking forward to a wonderful and exciting year!
Beth Mallett

2 comments:

m said...

Umm, would you mind writing my Meet Miss N letter, though her teacher hasn't asked for one... 'cause everything you write just sounds so much better than when I do it. Love, m

Beth said...

You are too sweet! And frankly, so is Miss N. She would NEVER do the things my spunky little superhero does. I'm HORRIFIED at what she'll think of us when he drops a curse word or flips off his classmates. There is no TELLING what he is capable of! (I'm cringing, CRINGING I tell you!)