It's Friday! Of the first full week of the school year. My eyelids can barely stay open, which is odd because you would think with my days' burden lightened by three children I would have plenty of energy. And yet each day my 3:15pm alarm goes off to remind me that the bus is bringing them home and I'm SURPRISED at how fast the time has gone.
What am I doing with all that time? I asked myself that very question!
Where on earth has the day gone??
This week, my best guess is that of the 6.5 hours that school was in session each day, I spent roughly
- 2 hours a day doing housework and food prep
- 1 hour a day running errands
- 30 minutes exercising
- 30 minutes on personal care (if I don't get a shower after I exercise, it ain't pretty!)
- 30 minutes online (checking email, blogging, checking facebook, etc.)
- 2 hours making googly eyes at Maeve
TWO HOURS making googly eyes at Maeve? You betcha! Because honestly, is there anything better?
It's like having a firstborn do-over! My actual firstborn did nothing but cry all day, so there wasn't a whole lot of googly eye-making going on, unless they were rolling in the back of my head from lack of sleep. So this is a whole lot of retroactive payback for that year, and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!
We're having quite a bit of fun, Maeve and I. Yesterday, we did this..
Seriously, I could die from the cuteness!!
Today, we had an impromptu play date in the shower. She woke up early from her nap, so I let her sit in the dry corner of my shower while I showered and she insisted on leaning forward to an almost-crawl to get to the water as it went down the drain. She was going to either a.) fall on her face...which would be bad or b.) learn how to crawl...which would be WORSE! I'm going to subvert all attempts to become mobile because I know where that leads her...away from being my baby! Not to mention into all sorts of trouble.
So I decided to give her what she wanted and pulled her over under the shower. She was horrified, and thrilled at the same time. I ended up putting a washcloth over the drain to get an inch or two of water for her to splash in, and stripped her wet clothes off and gave her a mini bath. Then I held her for a good fifteen minutes so she could play in the shower-spray. Finally I wrapped us up in matching towels and we made faces in the mirror for ten minutes before getting dressed and going about our business.
It was awesome!
I'm so GLAD I get to do these things with her! I'm such a lucky mama. And I'm happy to have so much 'free time' to share with my little sidekick. Even if it means that the alarm goes off to get the kids off the bus and I don't know where in the world the day went!

2 comments:
I love that you are getting to spend this time with Maeve! And I have no less than 12 alarms set on my phone for various wake up/make breakfast-pack lunch/wake Miss N/breakfast/take N to school/take B to school/pick up B/pick up N/leave for ballet-swimming... I swear I'd never remember until it was too late! And the kids can't yell at me for nagging, 'cause it's the phone doing all the nagging! ;)
oh man, I love this whole post. And that photo. I die.
Post a Comment