The state of Illinois requires a full eye examination for every incoming kindergartener.
Must be nice job security to be an opthamologist here!
Jack was able to entertain Maeve so that I could sit with Ben through the whole exam, which only lasted 15 minutes or so. I think Molly tried on every pair of glasses in the place while we were in there!
Ben did a great job - I couldn't believe Ben reading off all his letters and numbers. One of the numbers on the color blindness test was 45 - FORTY FIVE? I had no idea he even knew what 45 looked like, but he nailed it!
We all had fun trying on glasses after Ben's exam - even Maeve!
This wasn't our first foray into kindergarten eye exams though. We'd had to do Molly's exam shortly after we moved in. And it was a MUCH different experience. One that I think I'd mentally blocked out until we were walking out of For Eyes Optical today.
You see, three years ago when Molly was starting kindergarten, Ben was two and a half years old.
And the only appointment I could get for Molly was at 5pm at a For Eyes that seemed close on the map, but back then I had no idea that traffic lights that time of day would make a four mile trip last 45 minutes. 5pm is WITCHING time for two and a half year olds with wily personalities. And Ben did not dissappoint.
I remember him falling asleep in the car on the way to the appointment, and me running in and out of the optical shop every thirty seconds waiting for him to wake up (because there was no WAY *I* was waking him up - I knew it wasn't going to go well).
He finally woke up and was HOPPING MAD. I put him in the umbrella stroller, and strapped him down like a psych patient in a posey. In retaliation, he screamed his head off the entire time Molly was getting her exam done. I was suprised at Ben's eye exam today because I didn't spend one second with Molly during her exam. I left my poor, shy 5 year old alone at the back of the store with a strange opthamologist after PROMISING her I'd hold her hand.
But there was nothing I could do. Ben was like a tsunami back then - his tantrums knew no bounds, and would last as long as he had the energy to keep screaming.
I'm sure the people in the shop LOVED us. Not.
I remember leaving that place covered in sweat, ready to explode with frustration, shaking my fist at the sky and wanting to cry for a week.
Two and half year old Ben was......a challenge.
Five and a half year old Ben was....100% bright and charming.
ASTOUNDING
the difference three years can make.

1 comment:
Yes!! B has been going to the ophthalmologist every quarter for the last year and a half, and this last visit was like an angel descended from Heaven to sit in that exam chair! Reading the letters and saying, "I love you, Mama," at least three times from across the room while the Dr. wrote her notes. Thank the Good Lord for *time* to calm these Benjamins down!! Nice post... Thank you for the group photo!! Great looking family, Beth!!
Post a Comment