This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This is a big deal.


Eight YEARS it has been since I was able to use bleach on our whites.  When we moved to Pembroke and I got my very own washer and dryer, I figured that the reason our whites seemed dingy was because I wasn't using enough bleach.  So I kept using more.  And more, and MORE.  Until one day Marc went to wipe his brow after a hard workout and burned his face with all the residual bleach that was in the towel.
Oops!

But our whites were still dingy!  A year later when we had to replace our pool liner and filled the pool back up with water from both a truck and our hose, the pool guy finally solved the mystery when the new liner turned BROWN.  He said, "You must have a lot of iron in your water.  The chlorine in the pool shock causes it to rust and turn brown."

Aha!  Chlorine Bleach + Iron heavy water = rusted iron = rusty whites.

So for eight long years, we either wore dingy whites, or no whites at all.  Oxy Clean became my go-to, but it required so much soaking to get the iron out of the clothes that it was a pain to have to use it on a regular basis. 

When we were moving, this became one of my top ten things I was thrilled to leave behind.  But I must say, I'm a little shy now to use the Clorox, it's been so long.  And there are all those memories of favorite clothes bleached by accident when I was a kid (things always seemed to hide in my Mum's white loads!).  I know it's only a matter of time before I ruin something important.

But today is the day.  I can't wait to see the sunshine a little Clorox is going to bring into my life!

1 comment:

ktegn said...

Hiw did it turn out? Are your whites nice and bright?