This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Sunday, June 5, 2011

Somebody had a Birthday!

Somebody in this house turned SIX last weekend.  And I haven't blogged about it yet because I'm in DE-NI-AL!  I swear, her legs grew two inches on Tuesday.  I'm beside myself!

It's been a big, HUGE, ENORMOUS year for Molly.  Kindergarten challenged her more than she's ever been challenged before.  And yet, she managed not only to succeed, but to do it with a smile on her face, a song in her heart, and with her own sweet spirit intact.  To say that we are proud of her is an understatement.  We are beyond proud of her!

So our little girlfriend deserved a fabulous celebration of turning six, even if Mommy went swimming in the Nile.  She'd asked (since August) for a party at the Brookfield Zoo.  But the zoo wanted $700 for a party with 8 kids.  I had to explain to Molly that this was not an option.  I had talked her into having her party at a tea party place downtown that does nothing but little girls' birthday parties - I'd even had someone custom make her a tea party outfit.  But one day while leaving Walmart I saw a sign from God....

...okay, actually it was a sign from Petland, but it sure felt like divine intervention!  It read "Have your Birthday Here!", and when I called they told me that the party included all partyware, entertainment and favors for up to twenty children for only $200!!! Are you kidding me??  That was my pizza bill from last year's birthday bash!  Sign me UP!

So here's how it went down...

We started baking cupcakes two days before.


Why yes, yes that is a naked 3 year old in the background. 
How else is one supposed to bake 48 cupcakes without interruption?


See how sweet and cute he looks?  Yeah, that's all an ACT!


See him eyeballing the merchandise?  Gotta watch out for grabby hands with 'helpers' like this one!


Eventually though, the mess was a bit overwhelming, so I accepted an offer of help
from a mysterious caped crusader.


In a cupcake apron.


He was handsomely rewarded for all his hard work with a cushy job as taste-tester.


Here's a sneak peek at the prototypes...




MAY 28

Finally the day was here! 
Molly woke up to a table full of all her favorite things.
Things that are usually no-nos.  But not on your birthday!


Pardon the fact that everything looks yellow.  It was the buttcrack of dawn and my photography skills (or lack thereof) couldn't compensate for the lack of sunlight.

In reality, it was a pretty exciting display of
pinkaliciousness.

There were whoppers in pink and brown, Pocky, Yam Yam, Good and Plenty and more Little Debbie than you can shake a stick at!  I rustled up some funky fleece from the basement (it was supposed to be a baby blanket for my cousin's baby....who is now three). 

Those fluffy things hanging from the ceiling are tissue paper pom poms.   I've seriously put of making these for YEARS, so sure was I that I couldn't do it.  And they were so. stinking. EASY!   The world needs more tissue pom poms - they are MAGICAL!!

Astoundingly, nobody ate the goodies on the table - I was shocked!  Instead, we had waffles and yogurt for breakfast and then got ready to PARTY!

And now you can hate me because there is much to do tonight to prepare for something else I am in denial about...THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!  I promise I'll report back with all the details of the party, but for now...

To be continued...


1 comment:

m said...

Yea! Tissue poms! I have been waiting for this post for EVER and am so glad to see the genius you created for Molly. This will hold me over until you are able to get back. Wow, last day of school. Get ready to rock the summer. Love following your adventures. Thanks for letting us peek in! xoxo