This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Monday, June 13, 2011

Goodbye School, Hello POOL!!!

School was officially out on June 9th.  Here are some moments from the last week.



Disposable lunch for Field Day
From all reports
Molly was amazingly skilled at the sack race
while Jack blew the competition away with the Hula Hoop.

Ben and I stayed home and hung out with Jeffrey Kumor
so his mom could volunteer at her last field day.
Their move to Maryland is scheduled for July 27th.
Poo!


Apparently I was very nostalgic about the lunch-making.
It's the little things you know?
Molly chose her own lunchable for her last lunch in Kindergarten.
I now have a first grader.
And a fourth grader.
Pass the tissues...



Didn't want to be too "Mamarazzi" on my budding fourth grader at
his author's party and book reading.
So I used the iPhone camera.
Dissapointed in you iPhone.
This is Mrs. Sellers,
the best teacher Jack ever had.
more on that later.


It doesn't look any different from any other classroom I've seen recently
But it is different.  In all the ways that matter.
(more on that later)



Ben and I had gone in every two weeks for the entire second half of the school year to help
Jack and two other students write and publish their very own book.

This was the day Jack got to share it with his class.
I got to hold it for him.

He won (my imaginary) awards for
"Shortest Text"

and

"Most inventive illustrations substituting as text."

The title?
"Bombs Go Boom!"

The plot?
Two buddies training to be on the bomb squad are at the bomb range
and can't for the life of them figure out which bomb going off is theirs.

The dedication?



400 million "good doobie" points awarded to Jack Mallett!!!
He really is a sweetheart, that boy.  :)

Maybe I'll be able to flatter him into doing a reading for the blog!

The very next day it was time to say goodbye to Springbrook for the summer.

This year's farewell was thankfully just a "see you in September" goodbye.
We thanked our driver John with some rainbow colored popcorn
and a gift certificate to Oberweis Dairy for some well-deserved ice cream.

John is a great guy.  There are days when we've been so late out the door that I just piled the kids into the minivan to drive them myself, but John would see us as he was pulling away and would come down and get the kids, even though it was out of his 'route'.





_________________________________


And then it was over! The 2010-2011 school year had come to a close.

The bus had dropped the kids off for the last time.
But this year there was not a single tinge of sadness.
There was just a mad dash for the POOL we'd joined for the summer!









Passed out COLD.

The mark of a really great time.
And a really great start of

SUMMER!!






No comments: