This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

And The Plot Thickens...

I knew I had a lump in my throat when I left Chicago, but I figured it was just second-time home buyer jitters, or relocation jitters, or too many Venti Skinny Caramel Lattes back to back.

Or it could have been guilt. The kind of guilt when you say "yes" to a house that you don't love because you feel pressured because you need to get on a plane in 5 hours and this is all you've got to work with. Or the kind of guilt that there are people living on the street in every major city in the land and here I am disapointed over a 3000 square foot house.

I've said all along that we'll "bloom where we're planted", that a home is made of "family" and it doesn't matter what it looks like, we'll be happy wherever we are.

I was wrong.

And man, that pill was downright BITTER to swallow.

I spent my entire plane ride home with a notebook and pen, old school like, jotting down all the postive things I could think of about the house. I didn't get very far.
- Curb appeal
- Great lot
- Cul de sac
- School Bus instead of walking
- Good commute for Marc
- Awesome master suite

And that was it. I refused to write down anything overtly negative, because I was absolutely focused on being positive. So I decided to start making lists of how I was going to decorate each room to make the most of it's attributes. Except that every time I tried to think about it, I'd start to break down in tears. And I am SO not a crier.

Compared to what we saw on our trip, it was clearly the best option. But when I thought about it - how many houses did we exclude from our "final list" because they didn't fit our wish list? And if we were tossing our wish list out the window for this house, shouldn't we compare it with all of THOSE houses? Apples to apples, you know? Or even our OWN house - how did it compare to what we live in right NOW?

Because I'm not ripping my family away from everything we know and love for a "better life" that requires us to live in a WORSE house. And line item by line item, when I compared our current house to that house, it came up short. For eight LONG years, I've spent winters cooped up with children WISHING and DREAMING of the day when I wouldn't have these teeny tiny rooms. And though they are laid out differently, when you look at dimensions, we would have the same sized rooms or SMALLER than we have in our current house.

So after much ruminating (aka crying and blubbering), when we were faced with a counteroffer, we chose to walk away.

This is a HUGE gamble. But heck, you only get to live this life once, right? I'd hate to play it safe and be kicking myself for years to come. Let's just hope that by playing it not so safe, I don't end up kicking myself for years to come.

HOUSE HUNTERS Trip Two is on for Friday. Saint Jude and I are about to become very good friends...

7 comments:

Hollie said...

I am so glad that you were able to think this through and have the strength to back out. It's not an easy thing to do, but you put your family first. You have three very lucky kids! You will find the right house for you, it just may take a little longer than you had originally thought!

julie said...

I love you!!! know that you made the right decision! you and Marc and the kids deserve the BEST!!! keep on looking!

2Bugaboos said...

Five years ago we walked away from signing on the dotted line. And it was the best decision we ever made. I think I was more excited about choosing tile and granite than to see the big picture. Dave and I were both physically sick at the thought of moving from a town we truly loved to one we didn't. So when we realized that the new house wouldn't accommodate our bedroom furniture, we knew we had an out! I believe the best thing that could have happened to you and Marc was the counter-offer. This was your out... a second chance at finding home-sweet-home!

Anna said...

I really think that buying a house is a little like buying a wedding dress. Something will grab you about it and you will just know. Sure, you have a list of things you want and need, but there has to be that "essence" to the house that just speaks to you and makes you excited to move there. Good luck with trip #2!!

Lindsey said...

I feel downright mean saying it, but I personally am super stoked for House Hunters Part Deux. Sorry about that! But really, I am! Because I was sooooo nervous for you that you didn't love that house when you wrote "budget-friendly" in the description. Nobody ever feel in love with "budget-friendly," kwim? :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't settle!!! You did the right thing, Beth! This is a huge decision. If you feel overwhelmed, find a nice condo to rent for a few months in the town with the school system you want and get to know the area first. What do you have? You have time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You WILL find the perfect MALLETT HOME, but if you don't on Friday....it's okay...because when you find the right one, you will be so happy you didn't settle. I love you!!!!

Amelia said...

Things will work out. You will find the house, it might not be perfect, but it will be the perfect compromise. St. Jude always comes through. Eventually ;)