I knew this long weekend in Chicagoland would be a whirlwind, and I knew it would be emotionally grueling to try and pick our new home with the clock tick-tick-ticking.
But between the two of us, Marc and I have logged hundreds of hours on Realtor.com. Within our budget and the tri-town area we're looking in, there are literally HUNDREDS of listings available. Of course, we've had to sift through them to find the ones that meet most of our criteria, but even then, we've been left with dozens of listings. The hardest part of the last month was whittling the listings down to just our top TWO DOZEN. How lucky were we, to be buying in this incredible buyers' market?!
So we never, EVER, in a million years, expected that we would get here and have the entire inventory just. dry. up.
It is uncanny. Not only did our top dream house get snapped up, but within the last TEN DAYS, my BACKUP dream house went under contract. And my backup to my backup. And the backup to my backup, to my backup.
The houses we've had to look at werent' even on our TOP TWENTY list. Which means that few, if any of them, WOWed us this weekend. We have had to make a HUGE reversal of our expectations. And that road has been BUMPY, and a bit disappointing and heartbreaking, particularly for me.
I'm trying to focus on the positive, really I am. We are incredibly, incredibly BLESSED to have this opportunity come our way. The houses we are left to choose from are gorgeous, well built, newer homes in nice neighborhoods, with great schools and lots of community and family-centered memories ready for the making. Most people would give their eye teeth to be in our shoes!
So we're going to do the best we can to make the most logical decision possible from the choices we have, knowing that, truly, we can't make a BAD decision. We (I?)might not be jumping up and down from glee over the end result, but it humbles me once again with the reminder that HOME is not a HOUSE. It is FAMILY. And wherever our family lands, we will make our home a loving one.
4 comments:
Beth,
Can you rent until you find your dream house?
Pick the town/school system you want the most and then wait while you rent? Put your stuff in storage for awhile until THE house is available? Sorry you are so stressed :(
I'm with Alex I think. I'm probably assuming a bit much here, but I feel like I know you well enough to think that if you ultimately have to settle TOO much, it will be... too much. If that makes sense.
But then again, life is all about compromises, so maybe having to settle just a LITTLE is actually what the whole journey is about?
Gee, that was super unhelpful. :) Not that you needed my help anyway. :D
Another benefit of renting in the right town is that you can weed out neighborhoods that don't interest you and figure out which ones do...you can get to know the town better and then decide the best location in that town.
We do have friends who have family in Wheaton and they love it!
Good luck Beth!!!! Love you :)
We've moved several times in our marriage (once to Indiana) and I have to say that I wish I had rented for a while before buying, but I certainly understand the need to just get settled--good luck!
Post a Comment