This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Thursday, October 28, 2010

I am THISCLOSE to having it all together...

I can see "having it together" out ahead of me, and it's really pretty hilarious how on a daily basis, I think I'm going to grab it.  And then, just like Charlie Brown as he approaches the football, it's whipped out from under me and I fall flat on my head.

At least I can laugh about it, and BLOG about it for posterity.  It's only Wednesday, and I have three prime examples of my almost having it together.  But being that I started this post yesterday and I don't quite  have it all together, I can only remember two.  So that's what you get.

EXAMPLE ONE:
Yesterday, we got up, I showered, dressed, started the laundry, got the kids dressed and fed.  Teeth were brushed, hurry, hurry now it's getting late!  Jackets on, hurry, hurry, let's go!  Out the door, go! go! GO!  The bus is probably almost here, quick, get the trash out on the curb.  Grab the recycling, let's go, let's go!

Finally, standing at the bus stop, heaving a big sigh of relief, but wondering where everyone else is...8:33am is the time we need to walk out the door to get to the bus stop in time for the bus at 8:40 because it comes 10 minutes late on Wednesdays (the teachers have a planning meeting).  Out loud I said "We left the house at exactly 8:33, I don't know what's going on!" 

That's when Jack says "Mom, it's TUESDAY!!!"

We'd missed the bus!  And put the trash out on the wrong day!

Soclose.

EXAMPLE TWO
This morning, tired of rarely being able to get dinner together in the evenings, I decided to put my crockpot to use.  I researched recipes, went to two different stores to find the right ingredients, and was ready to go.  I browned my roast, chopped my veggies, deglazed the pan, put it all in the crockpot and was ready to go by 9:30am.  Tah-Dah!!  It's not even lunch and dinner is ready.  I ROCK!!

Then the doorbell rang and it was my lovely friends, the Jehovah's Witnesses, who wanted to come by and share some good news.  And because my front door is glass, I couldn't pull the patented "Nancy Egan" duck and cover maneuver to avoid them.  I'd been seen. 

So we chatted about faith, and differences, and I gave them the opportunity to do what they felt called to do because I'm not good at being rude and they are awfully nice ladies, Vivian and Pam, just like Dottie and Gertrude were back in Pembroke (they came to visit every few months, but I was better at hiding from them because I could see them coming from down the street).

An hour later, we said goodbye and I went back to check the crockpot.  It was cold as a stone!  I checked the plug - FINE.  I checked the setting - FINE.  What in the world was wrong???

Then I noticed the toaster sitting next to the crockpot.  The toaster with the black cord.  Next to the crockpot with the black cord. 

Yep.  I plugged in the toaster.  D'oh!!!

Soclose.

Luckily, it all tends to work itself out, even with the added mayhem and laughter.  I drove the kids to school, and we were late enough that we were last in the car line, saving oodles of annoying waiting in line.  They also felt super special to be able to get driven to school.

And eight hours after the toaster mistake, Marc, Jack and I were saying to each other with full mouths "Wthimklwermkl mkltrhiwhrt?"  Which roughly translates into "How is it that we've never tried pot roast before??  Man this is GOOD!!"




Pot Roast - it's a GOOD thing!

5 comments:

jude said...

Thanks for the laugh Beth. I have to ask the kids every day what day it is. I am glad I do because every day i go to work and my client asks " is it Sunday? " She somehow thinks every day is Sunday.
So most days I think I am confused I know it's going to be worse in the future. One day at a time.

2Bugaboos said...

I wish my computer was scratch 'n sniff because that looks SO good!And just so you know, leftover pot roast makes a rockin' shepard's pie. You should try it (if there's any left, that is). Glad everything is going well in Chicagoland! :)

m said...

I live my life soclose!! Is there any other way?
:)

Anonymous said...

Hysterical. Gotta love the Jehovah's Witnesses...man they are dedicated!

Lindsey said...

Hahaha! Soclose!

And pot roast ain't a good thing... it's the BEST THING!