This is the story one little family
making its way from the
salty shores of New England
to the suburbs of Chicago.
It won't always be easy,
but as long as we're together,
we'll find a way to bloom where we're planted.


Friday, October 1, 2010

It's 1:12AM...

...and I have totally lost it.  I can't seem to stop this vicious cycle of poring through Google images and blogs and home decor web sites trying to find the answer to all my burning questions.  My eyes are bulging out of my head and yet still here I am trying to solve these mysteries.

What color armchairs should I buy for the living room?
What type of entertainment center will work on the TV wall?
What colors should I pick? 
Why do I want to take an ice pick to the almond painted trim all over this house ?
(What was so wrong with WHITE that you had to go and paint it DIRTY white?")
How many Pottery Barn Logan bookshelves is too many?
Where can I find cheerful rugs that are not made of scratchy wool and don't cost a fortune?
Where can I find a 33" demilune occasional table or bombe chest for my entryway?
What color should I paint my entryway?
What color should I paint...well, everything?

And tonight's most pressing need: What size pictures should I order for my "picture wall"?  Should I even have a picture wall?  Should I put them on ledges?  On the fireplace mantel?  Should I get canvas or not?  Black and white or color?  Big, bigger or so big it makes people gasp?

Oy.

I did at least find some pretty inspirations to work from, Google is always good for that.

 Tara Whitney.  Swoon!
 I have no idea where this one came from.  Bad copyright infringer, BAD!

 Pottery Barn.  I love this because it's so soothing, even while it's quite busy.   And this one would be totally do-able for me because I have many similar components lying around looking for homes right now.


My Sweet Savannah.  I have stalked, er, idolized Melaine since long ago on HGTV's Rate My Space.  She painted each and every letter on that wall by hand.  It goes without saying that if I choose this route, my Cricut will be doing the work for me!



Exposures.  The day I found one of their catalogs thrown in the recycling bin under the mail cubbies in our Beacon Hill apartment was a lucky day indeed.  I adore them! 


And lastly, MARTHA.  Need I say more?

Now I am going to go drag my sorry self to bed, where I will appropriately spend the last thirty seconds of consciousness chastising myself for not going to bed sooner, and for wasting YET MORE TIME on my current home decor obsession.  Really, it has to stop.  Just as soon as I have these pictures on the wall.  And the entertainment center installed.  And the rugs down.

And does anyone know a good Chicagoland electrician?

UPDATE!  I just checked out my friend Emily's blog, you know, to see if she had any good picture wall ideas?  And lo and behold OUR LITTLE FAMILY is on her little BLOG!  Hot diggity dog!  If she wasn't such a darn good photographer, I wouldn't be agonizing over which pictures to order and how enormous to get them!

4 comments:

m said...

All I can say, because I'm in the same boat, is only do it if you are feeling passionate about it - or you won't like it in the morning. That's why my walls are so bare... I'm waiting for divine inspiration. It has never failed me before... buy it if you LOVE it. Paint it if you LOVE it. Like your old house, it took you 8 years to "get there." It certainly won't take you that long in your amazing Frank, but give yourself some TIME. and some LOVE, because you are loved, dear one. And for heaven sake, Go To Bed!
ps. saw the images on ELW and fell in love with them all over again. You DO have some hard choices to make in that regard!

jude said...

Beth, I love the family photos. They are beautiful.

Anna said...

I think I like the Pottery Barn one with the bench the best. Seems the most versatile and you could use frames and such you have now, paint, reuse etc.

McLeodx5 said...

My photo wall (or lack of one, really) has been consuming my mind as well. I'm sure your wall, as well as the rest of the house, will come out FABULOUSLY. Can't wait to see pictures. :)